Chapter 17: Across the Lake

Start from the beginning

"I know you would. Not that I think you'd think badly of him but I'm afraid you'll look differently at me."

"So, that implies that we should know of them."

"And perhaps you do. But I am not willing to run with that risk."

Thorin sighs, only managing a small smile but Gailien barely contains her mirthful one, enjoying the irony and the exhilaration of the dangerous topic. No doubt Fili and Kili are exchanging looks behind their backs. If Kili is even aware in his state.

"Once we have a moment of peace, I'll meditate and see if I can find anything useful," she says, the topic of Kili dimming all mirthful mood. "Durin's Day is in less than a month."

"Still enough time to reach the mountain. As long as the bargeman can do as he promised."

"But first we must do as we promised," she adds. Thorin frowns, not understanding her words until Gailien digs into the small purse at her waist, pulling out three silver coins. "I don't have much, but I don't make habit of carrying a lot of gold around. And even then, I only have this because of one of the wagers."

"The honey-cake one?" Thorin wonders.

"No," she chortles. "I let Fili keep that. No, this was thanks to Bofur after we left the Shire. And thanks to Bilbo I suppose."

Thorin shakes his head with a small humorous smile. He digs into his own belt pocket, pulling out a handful of coins. He cups her hand, pouring the contents into it. "Take those to Balin," he instructs. Gailien nods, turning around on the small barge to where Balin is beginning to collect their smuggler's price. She places the handful on the counter, muttering something about it being both hers and Thorin's share. She returns to Thorin's side who throws a narrowed glare over her shoulder. "Do you trust him?"

"I do," she answers with confidence. "If he has three children then he wouldn't risk being caught, and if he hands us in, he won't get his money." She looks over her own shoulder, meeting eyes with Bard who seems to be listening to their conversation, even if it is only above whispers. "Besides, he probably knows that we'll cause trouble if he does."

Their attention is taken by large stones protruding from the water, covered by the fog until they are only feet away. For a moment it seems like they are going to run into one and Bofur yells "watch out" but the barge is swiftly turned out of the way.

"What are you trying to do?" Thorin growls. "Drown us?"

Gailien rolls her eyes, softly nudging the Dwarf's side with the back of her hand. "I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here," Bard says.

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy lake-man. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him," Dwalin states, sending Bard a typical Dwarven glare.

"First of all," Gailien begins, propping out her leg. "His name is Bard, Dwalin. And second, he is the only reason we have a way of entering Lake-town without arousing this 'master.' So, I suggest that if we are going to talk about him, you do it where he cannot hear. And you don't need to like him, you need to pay him."

Thorin walks closer to the edge, crossing his arms as he leans against the edge.

"That we do lass," Balin agrees. "Come on, turn out your pockets."

The Dwarves reluctantly start pulling silver coins from their pockets, tossing them onto the crate that Balin is using as a table.

"How do we know he won't betray us?" Dwalin questions Thorin.

"We don't," Thorin answers. Gailien leaves his side, walking over to where Kili sits with his brother, his left leg extended.

"How are you going?" she asks quietly, sitting down on his other side.