Chapter 16: Opportunity in Closed Doors

“Ubayashiki-sama,” the young Kakushi gently said, “Urokodaki-sama, the former water pillar, is here to see you.” 

     We waited, listening for a response from the room. There was no answering voice, only the faint rustle of the boy's hands wringing his uniform in his lap. After a minute passed, the boy looked up to me, brow creased and lips undoubtedly pressed in a firm white line behind his mask.  

     “He must be out for a walk.” The boy stood up from seiza, and lowered his head in apology. “He’ll probably be back in half a bell, if you don’t mind waiting?”

     I shook my head. If I complained about waiting for less than a hour after the journey here, I’d be quite disappointed in myself. 

     The boy nodded, and smoothened his uniform free of creases. He straightened his back, yet kept his eyes downcast. “Would you like some tea while you’re here?” 

     “No, thank you.”

     The boy nodded, and began to back out of the room. “I’m afraid I’ll have to return to my post, so this is goodbye, Urokodaki-sama.” Sliding open another shoji, his voice returned to its normal volume. “I’ll have somebody alert you once Ubayashiki-sama has returned.” He shuffled to the other side, his hand lingering on the frame. For a moment he paused, as if in thought. After a few seconds, he turned to look up at me. “You can stay here, but you’re welcome to explore the estate if you want.” 

     I opened my mouth, ready to decline his offer, when the water trio’s words occurred to me. The other Hashira live around here as well, do they not? Perhaps I could take this opportunity to meet them, and then talk to Ubayashiki-san. 

     “That would be lovely. Thank you for all your help.” 

     The young man flushed again, and shyly ducked his head. He motioned for me to follow him back outside.   

     As I moved after him, I ran the locations of each estate in my mind. Typically, only the Ubayashiki Estate changed locations, and that was only once every century or so. Even then, the Hashira estates were usually less than a three day journey from headquarters, excluding the Butterfly Estate. Since that was where slayers were hospitalized for their injuries, it was typically less than a 20 minute walk from headquarters. That meant that the other estates are likely in the same place, with the Butterfly Estate being the closest. 

     “Okay, this is where we’ll have to part ways.  

      I glanced at the young man. His body was dipped at the waist, eyes closed. “I will have somebody alert you once the master has arrived. For now-” he straightened his back, eyes still closed, “-please don’t stray too far.” 

     I could feel my joints stiffen. Did he know what I was planning?

     “The other Kakushi will probably panic if they cannot find you right away,” he added.

     I noted how the boy’s mask hitched up and the more defined crinkles at the corner of his eyes. I inhaled sharply, willing my heart to slow. 

     He was just concerned. And besides, it wasn’t like I was planning to do anything evil. I just wanted to see the other immediate Hashira before making my decision.

     “I will keep that in mind.” I dipped at the waist. “Thank you for your guidance up to this point, young man.” 

     He ducked his head. “Of course, Urokodaki-sama. Until next time, I suppose.” 

     I watched the Kakushi’s back as he followed the pathway we took earlier back to his post. When it disappeared, I turned towards what I believed to be where the Butterfly Estate was. If I were to hurry, I could be back in time to meet Ubayashiki-san and discuss my decision.

...

..I'm alive...I swear. Pshh I'm too young to swear, so have this (very late, I'm sorryy) update as proof of my non-deceasement.

Yes, I know that's not a word but shushhh I'm the one passing English..I think.