Chapter 14: Journal Entry Two

Today is June 14th. The Kamado’s have been asleep for almost 10 months now. At the moment, I'm on my way to the Ubayashiki Residence. The Water Trio had visited earlier today, and informed me that Ubayashiki wanted to introduce the Kamado's to the Hashira.

I thought back the conversation I had with the trio.
...

“Urokodaki-san,” Makomo’s voice echoed from the closed off room, “how long did you say they’ve been asleep now?” Sabito and Giyuu looked up at me expectantly. I merely stared at their faces. Rice covered their mouths, and soup was dripping down their chins. Unbelievable. Twenty, almost twenty-one, years old, and they still can’t eat properly.  

I cleared my throat. “Going on 10 months.” 

 Makomo was silent. Only the sound of a cloth sloshed around in water answered from the Kamado’s room. Hopefully, she finishes soon. Otherwise, the boys will devour all the food. 

I narrowed my eyes. Sabito was aiming a piece of daikon at Giyuu, who merely shoveled food into his face. Giyuu ignored Sabito’s evil grin.  

I pinched the bridge of my nose as the daikon smacked Giyuu in the face. It slowly slid down his cheek and onto the table with a plop. He simply picked it up and crammed the root into his mouth. 

“Sabito, I swear I will throw you off the cliff if you do that again.” Sabito glanced at me and quickly shoved a piece of sea bream into his mouth. Giyuu had finished his fish off ages ago, and was devouring the last of the daikon. He eyed the pot between us, his hand reaching for the ladle. 

“Giyuu-” I jutted my chin at his empty bowl- ”wasn’t that your third bowl?” I struggled to keep my face neutral. He looked at me, eyes flat. He didn’t care. The corner of my lip twitched. “Save some for Makomo, please.”

I let myself smile when Giyuu leaned back. He set his chopsticks on the bowl's rim gently. “Thank you for the meal.” Giyuu returned the smile. “It was delicious.” 

The door to the Kamado’s room opened. Makomo stepped out, her hands hidden by a towel. I pretended not to notice Sabito throwing the last of his fish into Giyuu’s bowl. I slid my mask off the table and filled a bowl for her. “Is everything good?” 

Makomo nodded. She smiled as she took the bowl from me and sat down. “They’re all clean now!” She chewed thoughtfully. "Nezuko's mark is almost up to her hips now. Meaning, their marks are almost completely covering their bodies now, huh?" I nodded. Tanjiro's mark was almost down to his hips now too, his chest almost completely covered in flames. “And, from the looks of it-” Giyuu had noticed the fish. Sabito guzzled his broth, pretending not to notice Giyuu beaming at him. 

“-they filled out quite nicely!”

Sabito choked. Giyuu set his chopsticks down and patted his back. I shook my head, throwing Makomo’s towel at Sabito’s face. He was still coughing. 

Giyuu kept patting Sabito’s back. “Makomo,” Giyuu swatted the towel at the spilled soup with his free hand, “we shouldn’t be talking about our juniors like that.” 

Makomo snickered. “You’re just bitter that Shinobu hates you,” she teased. She prodded her finger at Giyuu’s cheek. Giyuu simply stared at the table, rubbing Sabito’s back. 

I sighed. How could such a sweet child grow up to be so cruel? 

“I’m not hated by anyone.” The 20 year old pouted.   

Makomo smiled. “You know I’m only teasing you, Giyuu.” She placed her fish in Giyuu’s bowl. “I’m just having some fun.” Giyuu smiled, and picked his chopsticks up again. 

Sabito cleared his throat. “Anyway, we should stop messing around and get straight to the point.” Sabito wiped his mouth. “Ubayashiki-sama wants to meet the Kamado’s.”

I could feel myself tense. “Why now, of all times?” 

Makomo set her bowl down with a quiet thud, squinting at Sabito. “Not now now.” Her hand twirled in the air. “More like once they wake up and pass the Final Selection now.” 

Sabito rolled his eyes. “Yeah,” he gestured at Makomo, “what she said.” 

“Not my fault you suck at talking almost as much as you suck at picking up girls,” Makomo replied sweetly. Sabito slouched, grumbling away.

Who raised these kids? 

“Anyway-” Giyuu set his chopsticks down- “we can’t do anything until they wake up. And,” his fingers pressed against his temple, “you two are missing the main point.” Navy blue eyes met mine. 

“Ubayashiki-sama wants to introduce them to the Hashira.”  

My face slackened. Ubayashiki-san wants to introduce them to the other pillars? They’d kill the Kamados before they say a word!

“Urokodaki-san.” Makomo interrupted my thoughts. “Everything will be alright!” She patted my hand. “We’ll figure something out.” 

The two boys nodded, following her lead. I shakily exhaled, and picked my mask up from beside me. “I don’t know. I think Ubayashiki-san is moving too fast.” I could see the slayers tilt their head in agreement. I wiped the mask down, making sure it was presentable. “Here’s what we’ll do for now.” I stood up and moved towards the small compartment located near the door. I felt along the seams of the wooden floor until a small ridge slid against my fingertips. The small door creaked as I shoved my hand in. My hands closed around the contents of the cubby, and I leaned back. Once it was properly sealed, I faced the trio again, a packing bag in hand. 

“You three will stay here for two days,” Sabito’s brows arched, “while I go talk to Ubayashiki-san myself.” I threw a small parcel of medicine in the sack, just in case. The kids stayed silent, watching me pack. Only the soft sound of chopsticks scraping a bowl answered. I opened a small cabinet, looking for my stock of dried fruit. 

Hopefully, I could persuade Ubayashiki-san to keep the Kamado’s a secret from the corps, especially the Hashira. I don’t want to risk it. We have no idea how long they’ll be asleep for, nor do we know if they will be the same when they wake up. 

As I shoved the pack of fruit into my bag, a sudden thought occurred to me. I turned toward the drawer that held the Kamado's clothing and pulled the top drawer out. Moving their haoris around, I found the bundle of sweets from the doctor. I moved to the trio again and, gently, set it on the table between us. 

“What’s this?” Sabito tilted his head, studying the bag. Giyuu picked the bundle up, and loosened the drawstring. I racked my brain for the name.  “I believe they’re a type of candy-”Makomo yanked the bag from Giyuu “-called Honey Pops.” 

Their eyes widened as the small drops tumbled into Makomo’s hand. They  glowed, and the boys each snatched a ball from her hand. She glared at the boys, and took a drop from the sack. They popped the candies in their mouths. 

The trio smiled. “This is so good.” Makomo mumbled. The boys didn’t respond. Silently, I thanked the doctor for his thoughtfulness. At least I could bribe them to stay now.

A small crack echoed through the room. Sabito merely grinned.

He must have bit it, the impatient brat. 

“Anyway, you can all have a few pieces, but-” I pointed at the Kamado’s room ”-make sure to keep an eye on them.” I tightened the mask, and grabbed my saya and the nichirin blade. I headed towards the door. 

“Make sure to save the kids a few pieces too!” 

The trio merely grumbled in response as I closed the door.

.....

Thanks for being patient!

PS: The movie is coming in in less than two weeks! I'm so excited!!! For now, have a video of our kny boys having some fun! Isn't Senjuro and Kyojuro cute!!