Chapter 36: The Beginning of Nezuko

In my dream, I can see my mother. She’s cooking in the kitchen, with my baby sister Hanako on her back. I’m standing by the small table we eat at every night, and I remember being mad. I thought that Hanako would replace me. She was the second daughter born in this family, and I was used to being doted upon by my okaa-san. After all, with two other brothers and oto-san, okaa-san and I used to be the only girls around before Hanako, and I secretly wanted to keep okaa-san to myself.

I sighed, and she turned to look at me, and then we’re sitting in the backroom where we all slept together at the end of the day. Just me and okaa-san and Hanako, curled against each other as my Oto-san and two brothers played outside. She’s holding something shiny in her hands, cradling my baby sister gently- who's smiling and gurgling at me on my mom's chest. I remember admitting to myself back then that my baby sister was actually pretty cute, and I couldn't bring myself to hate her no matter what. I wanted to protect her.  I wanted to love her, for as long as she and I lived.

I think okaa-san knew, for she took my hand and placed it on Hanako's back. My mom tucked a tendril of loose hair behind my ear, and whispered to me that on my 16th birthday, she’d have a special gift for me, her forever special little girl. 

But I’ve just realized. 

I can’t remember what her smile looks like.

I can't even remember what her voice sounded like.