Chapter 20: The Master

Urokodaki POV

By the time I made it back to headquarters, the mid-day bell had already rung. I quickly made my way to where the young kakushi had led me earlier. Once I managed to make my way to the shoji doors, I slipped past them and into the hallway leading to Ubayashiki-san's common room, sitting down outside the doors. Soon enough, I heard the slight scuffle of feet making their way into the room from the other side.

I waited a moment until it was silent, and then sat up straight. "Ubayashiki-san!" I announced. "I am the former water pillar, Sakonji Urokodaki! I have come here to discuss a sensitive matter with you!"

Voices murmured behind the oiled paper doors. Eventually, the door slid open.

"Urokodaki-san! How have you been?" Ubayashiki-san asked.

I sat back on my heels, respectfully lowering my gaze to the floor. "I've been doing well, thank you." I cleared my throat. "I hope you've been doing fine as well?"

Ubayashiki-san lightly chuckled. He motioned for me to 'follow' before his children tenderly clasped his hands and led him back into the room. I stepped inside and slid the door shut, stretching my back quickly before following them.

Ubayashiki-san was sitting at chabudai, waiting until I cleared my throat before gesturing to the cushion opposing him. He carefully poured tea with one hand, muscle memory providing all the guidance he needed to handle the delicate pot. Any emotions he may have had were hidden by the drape of his black hair. I pressed my lips together, concern biting at me.

I stepped behind the cushion and kneeled into it, using my hands to balance myself. The Master carefully slid the cup closer to me and began pouring his own. I took my time in seating myself before looking up.

Ubayashiki-san's condition had worsened.The curse had spread, claiming his sight. Its disease covered nearly the entirety of his face. I silently grit my teeth and swallowed my curses for Kibutsuji Muzan. This war has truly gone on for far too long now.

"I'm assuming the Water Trio informed you of my decision regarding the Kamado siblings?" Ubayashiki-san inquired. His eyes were blank, but his lips were slightly curled into a half-smile. I quickly confirmed and waited for him to begin explaining.

Ubayashiki-san's eyes flitted down. If he still had his sight, he would have been gazing steadily into the depths of the fragrant liquid in his mug. I held my own up to my lips and quietly sipped at the slightly bitter liquid.

"I'm dying, Urokodaki-san."

I paused, not expecting this. I silently set my tea down. Obviously, this wasn't new information. All who have held or are holding a Hashira position are well aware of this. The Master was fated to pass well before his due time, due to the vermin who dubbed himself the King of Demons.

I softly exhaled before grabbing my bag. Death wasn't certainly not an easy thing to accept. "Aren't we all dying?" I stated, pulling the package of dried fruit and setting it between us. "Somehow, someway, we're all fading with the times."

I gently turned The Master's hand over and placed a dried persimmon in his palm. He smiled and whispered his thanks while I pulled out a plum for myself. "Call it an old man's intuition, but I can feel it." I nipped at the dried fruit.

"We're very close to the end."

For a moment, Ubayashiki-san and I sat eating away at our snack. It was a minute of clarity for both he and I. We both understood that a lot of people would be 'fading' away once we did find Muzan.

As the last of the fruits were swallowed, we began to settle into the original conversation. Ubayashiki-san was speaking highly of the current Hashira, especially the Insect Pillar.

"She is an especially gifted member of the corps, and highly respected by the other Hashira." Ubayashiki-san sipped his tea between each line of reason. "I feel she could convince the others to accept them, as well as aid them in assimilating into the corps with minimum conflict." He concluded.

At this point, I figured Ubayashiki-san wasn't aware that the Insect Pillar was already well-acquainted with the Kamado's special circumstances. "I understand that, and I have no doubt that she would, but you and I are both aware of how many of our members joined the corps for vengeance." I pinched the bridge of my nose, eyes screwed shut. "I cannot imagine what the children would have to go through should their secret be discovered by the wrong people."

Ubayashiki-san nodded his head with my defense, understanding my argument. "You're right, not everyone will readily accept the two." I poured more tea, waiting silently. "The siblings may be unique, but they are still one of the oni." The Master affirmed. "It will be very difficult to persuade my children if the Kamados are already dead."

I shook my head as I set the pot down. "I doubt the Hashira will be easily persuaded even if they are already dead." Ubayashiki-san smiled as I passed the cup back to him. I settled comfortably back as I held my own. "You can understand why I don't want their identities exposed." I said.

Ubayashiki-san nodded as the warmth from the mug pricked his hands. I watched as he swiped softly at the tendrils of black hair sweeping in to cover his face. I sighed, not liking the path I was going to propose to him already.

"What if we presented them as assassins?" I asked. I could feel the dull ache of a headache settling in already. I ignored Ubayashiki-san's quirked eyebrow. "It would allow them to travel at night without question, and permit them to be known without their true identities exposed." I explained with a heavy heart.

"It'd be the best option at this point."

Ubayashiki-san cocked his head, a small smile gracing his features. I waited for a solid agreement. The Master shook his head and moved the cup to the side before holding his hand out. "I think that's a marvelous idea, Former Water Hashira Sakonji Urokodaki-sama!" He exclaimed.

I clasped his hand, indifferent to the silly title. "I'll send a crow once they wake up and are ready then." Ubayashiki-san grinned in reply. "I'll come back to talk about the finer details once they do." I said, letting his hand go and pushing myself up.

Ubayashiki-san nodded, a model of perfect tranquility. "I'll be looking forward to our next meeting then, Urokodaki-san."