Chapter 25: Kimono

The sound of dry leaves under heels jostled Nezuko and I up. The fire was long out, not even smoke drifting behind to bid farewell, but so was the night chill. Luckily, it was too early for the sun to shine above the forest and through the windows into the cabin. 

“Nezuko.” I whispered. 

She placed her hand on my elbow. “I’m here.”

The footsteps were coming steadily up the pathway. It was still windy outside, and, unfortunately, it was blowing away from us. That meant my sense of smell was useless. 

I cursed under my breath and turned to look at Nezuko. She was concentrating on the door. “Do you think it could be Urokodaki-san?” I asked. 

“I don’t know.” She groaned, obviously displeased with our situation. “But better safe than sorry.” She yanked on my sleeve and pointed to the room we had slept in. “Let’s stay in there and wait.” 

I followed after Nezuko. Judging by the sounds, it would appear that the person is just outside. I stepped into the room and quietly closed the door behind us. Nezuko had two blankets in her arms, ready for us to flee into the daylight, need be. I nodded, and leaned against the door. Listening. 

Waiting. 

The door slid open without a hitch. I silently scolded myself for not checking to make sure the stopper was up. The person walked quietly into the cabin, allowing the screams of the wind outside to be muted with the door. I sniffed the air. 

There was a muddle of scents. There were the autumn leaves and the ripening fruits. I could smell the tang of metal, and the faint scent of cloves from the choji oil used to clean swords. But I couldn’t pick out a definite scent. There were too many.   

I waved my hand behind my back, signaling to Nezuko. She placed a blanket in my hand, and I wrapped it around myself before moving close to the door again. The person was pulling shelves out. Judging by the faint rustle of fabric and quiet thumps, they were placing things inside the cupboards, not taking them out. 

I closed my eyes, and forced myself to calm my thoughts. I breathed in once more. Deeply. The scent of fall washed over me. I ignored it, narrowing in onto the person. They were carrying a few bundles, many of which had the earthy scent of roots and medicinal herbs. I breathed out slowly, and inhaled deeply. The stranger smelled like a waterfall, a busy scent that gave away their worrisome thoughts. 

It was the scent of one of The Trio. 

I stepped back from the door, dropping the blanket to the floor. There was no need for it, after all. I silently mouthed the name of the person outside. 

Giyuu-san. 

Nezuko studied my face, reading for any hints of warning. I grinned, and beckoned for her to hurry up. 

At the realization of safety, Nezuko loosened her grip on the duvet. I held my hand out to her, which she daintily took with a quiet sigh of relief. We turned around to the door. The man had stopped moving around. He probably realized that something was out of the norm. It’d probably wouldn’t be a good idea to jumpscare the demon slayer. 

Snickering, I glanced at Nezuko. She gazed steadily into my eyes, and nodded once. 

I pulled us a few feet away from the door, and drew air into my lungs.

“Giyuu-san!” We screamed together. 

There was a slight clatter outside the door. Then bam! The door shook on its hinges. Giyuu-san was at its frame, hand splayed on the door to keep it open. His other hand carried a white Daikon radish, tightly wrapped around its leafy top. He gripped it as if it were the handle of his blue nichirin blade, which was at his waist safely in the saya