Chapter Five: A Sad Scent

After two days of running through the mountains, resting only in the short hours where the sun peaked, they arrived at top of the Misty Mountain. Tall trees with fragrant needles covered the branches of the giants. A waterfall could be heard roaring in the distance. 

The demon slayers paced themselves in front of the siblings. Waves of nostalgia poured over them as they came closer to their sensei’s residence. Memories of their youth drenched the minds of the young slayers, a sea of familiarity washing over them as they neared the house of Urokodaki. 

“We’re here.”

The siblings turned, hearts beating in their cold chests. Their hands found themselves trapped in the other's grip as their ears drummed.

The door to the small cabin slid open, snow falling from the roof as a man stepped out. A red Tengen mask hid his features, anger and concern scattering across the forest. Tanjiro pulled Nezuko closer to his side. 

“I’ve taught you better than this.”

Urokodaki’s short nails dug into his calloused hands, focused on the trio he trained all those years ago. “Have I not ingrained in you the phrase ‘All Oni are our enemies?’”

The trio stood tall, forming a wall between the Kamado’s and the fury of their master. 

“And you allow them to see your backs!” 

Snow flew up from the ground. It  fluttered lazily as Urokodaki materialized in front of Sabito. His eyes stared coldly into silver pools behind the mask he gave him, frozen in place as the demons looked on. 

“What would you do if these demons were to consume human flesh?”

Sabito gazed at Urokodaki, lips firm as his hands tightened. His friends held their breaths as the snow began to drift from the heavens. 

“We would see our duty through and decapitate the man-eating beasts.”

Snow waltzed slowly to the floor. The cold wind tugged on their hair as they listened to Sabito's words.

 “And to restore our honor, I would slice my stomach open to atone for the innocent bloodshed on my hands.” 

Tanjiro’s eyes widened at Sabito’s vow, guilt souring his heart. The slayer had put his life on the line for them.

The wind blew once more, tugging Tanjirou's Hanafuda earrings with breeze.

Urokodaki's nose twitched behind the red mask.

Such a sad scent. 

Sabito stood tall and firm. He was unaware that his sensei’s eyes were no longer on him, but on the pair of oni shivering behind them. The boy, almost as tall as Sabito, had medium-length hair the color of mulled wine, bangs hanging low on his forehead with marks similar to the dance of flames. His scent of autumn spices hinted at decaying leaves, betraying his unwavering crimson eyes that stared back at him. Besides him, a young girl peeked at him, her fuschia eyes resembling a cats as they flicked nervously between the slayers, burnt vanilla and cinnamon drifting from her. She clenched her brother’s haori, moving behind him.

However, the most important notion was the fact that the oni smelled almost human. There were no pungent odors hinting at bloodlust, only the scents of two frightened children who had lost everything. 

Urokodaki grit his teeth, contemplating the risks of training two demons. The elder’s eyes fell on Sabito, who stood awkwardly rigid before him. 

The young man’s mask hid his features, but he could decipher the scent of honey and sharp citrus. His tsuguko was determined for him to take them under his wing.  

The elder sighed, making the other masked slayers jump from the sudden sound. 

“I will train them to become slayers. However,” the elderly man turned his back on the group, snow crunching beneath him, “I want you to explain everything, in detail, to Ubayashiki-san.”  

The elder paused, his hand still on the edge of the door. “If you want these two to survive, I recommend that you request that their identities and status be kept quiet.”

He slid open the door. Grey hair shone with the moon, its pale light reflecting off the silver strands. The Tengen mask swerved towards the siblings, aware of how closely the eldest brother held his younger sister. Pale lips tightened behind the red mask. 

“Unless you plan to shoulder the wrath of the entire Demon-Slaying Corps.”  
...

Credits: I just realized that it says so in the videos!