Chapter 11: Lemons, Honey, and Ginger

Urokodaki POV

My fingers tapped against the wooden walls by the door. Worry gnawed at my thoughts as I waited for the doctor. I've been outside for nearly an hour now. If he didn't come soon, I would carry the Kamado's to town myself for an actual professional.

It's been over three days. The Kamado's haven't moved an inch from their futons. I have to keep checking to see if they're still breathing every hour, just to put my mind at ease. They're that still.

Only their eyes move, darting under the skin of their eyelids. The breaths they take are barely there. And they're always freezing. No matter how much I cover them with spare blankets or feed the fire, it doesn't change anything. It's as if they're already dead.

I shake my head. These thoughts are never good to have. They're probably fine. Hopefully. Besides, they were demons. The only way they could die was by the hands of a slayer or from exposure to the sun.

The floral scent of medicinal herbs was beginning to permeate the air. It was bitter. If the doctor was that unwilling to come up the mountain, then I should have called for somebody else.

I straightened my posture. The sun was going to set soon. I opened the door and stepped inside. I wasn't going to take the effort to guide the doctor here if he didn't take the effort to move quicker.

The Kamado's still haven't moved from their positions. I sighed, and closed the door. The sun was still technically out, but it was already darkening outside. I opened the window.

Crickets were beginning to chirp outside. Summer is over now. The leaves of some of the trees were already red and orange. I glanced back at the Kamado's.

Tanjiro will be turning 18 next year in July. Nezuko's 16th birthday is in the winter, which is right around the corner. They're both getting older. Soon, they will leave on their own.

I set a kettle to boil on the fire.

The training I put them through may have given them the body and instincts of warriors, but they were still children by heart. In all honesty, I'm afraid for them. The Demon Slaying Corps are filled with people who have been hurt by demons.

Something thudded against the door. I stood and placed my hand on the saya at my waist.

For a moment, only the sound of shuffling echoed. Then it was silent.

A hesitant knocking came from the door.

I sighed, and relaxed. Hand still on the guard, I opened the door. A tall man stood outside, a kit in hand. His other hand was on the back of his head.

"G-" the man gulped. "Good evening, sir." He slid the hand down to his neck. "I'm a doctor. Is this the residence of Urokodaki Sakonji?"

I stared at the man. The smell of lemons filled the air. His blue eyes flitted from my own to the shoes he wore. His head tilted downwards, blond hair standing out from the white cap he wore.

This wasn't the smell from earlier.

"Um..sir?"

I blinked, remembering where I was.

"Oh, yes. I am Sakonji Urokodaki." I side-stepped, making room for the man to step through. He smiled sheepishly at me. "Was your journey here fine?"

The man nodded at me, watching as I closed the door. He followed me to the small room in the corner. "It was alright. I'm not used to mountains, so it took me a great while. I've been travelling for nearly two days!"

I squinted at the man.

"I'm glad you arrived safely."

I turned the corner. The Kamado's were still snoring softly.