CHAPTER 14: Yeah, B*tch, I'm Back

"Yes, there's a scream inside that we all try to hide

We hold on so tight, but I don't wanna die, no

I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die, yeah"

- Bird Set Free, Sia

THERE WERE TWO SETS OF STEADY BEEPING, matching the pulsing pain in Caroline's side when she woke up

Blinding white lights were the first thing she saw. She realized there was a ventilator over her mouth and nose, preventing her from moving her face too much. She lay still, on her back, in soft white sheets.

A hospital.

"Callie?" There was a hoarse, tired voice coming from the other side of the room.

Caroline turned her head could see her brother out of the corner of her eye. He was reaching his hand out to her.

"Will," She whispered. A tear trickled down her cheek. She tried to reach further, stretching her hand out to touch him, feel him, confirm that her senses weren't lying to her, that her twin was alive-

Her side erupted in pain, making her cry out. The steady beeping of the machine turned rapid, her heart rate spiking.

The door burst open and in walked Joyce Byers, looking more tired than her children had ever seen her before. She saw Caroline arching her back in pain and called out into the hallway, "Nurse! I need a nurse!"

She rushed over and took her daughter's hand, smoothing back her sweaty hair. "Shh, shh, you're okay..."

Slowly, the pain subsided and Caroline's shallow breathing slowed. However, Joyce's grip no her hand didn't loosen one bit.

"You okay?" Jonathan stood next to Will's bed, holding his hand.

"Yeah," Caroline rasped. She locked eyes with Will and they grinned at each other.

"Wait," Will said. He looked confused. "Why is Caroline here? Why- why is she hurt?"

"How am I still alive? Will's heart stopped, and mine did too, but you and Hopper were there with Will, not me... and I should have bled out-"

"Bled out?" Will echoed in disbelief. "What do you mean, bled out?"

Caroline exchanged glances with her mom. She took a deep breath- not that it made much difference, with a ventilator- and looked at Will again. "We've got a lot to talk about."

"You won't believe what happened when you were gone, man!"

"It was mental!"

"You had a funeral!"