CHAPTER 8: Do You Ever Stop Eating

"It's been a long day without you, my friend

And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

We've come a long way from where we began

Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"

-See You Again, Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth

CAROLINE NEVER THOUGH SHE WOULD BE ATTENDING HER BROTHER'S FUNERAL

In her mind, death was so far away that it had never occurred to her that there would someday be a point where one of the twins was left without the other. They were Callie and Will, William and Caroline, the inseparable pair.

But now, standing in a black dress that she had had to borrow from Nancy Wheeler, hair pulled back into a french braid, staring down at the coffin holding her brothers body, it was suddenly a terrifying reality.

Even though she knew that he was still alive, she didn't know if they would be able to get him back.

And someday, this would all be for real.

"'Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.' It's times like these that our faith is challenged. How, if He is truly benevolent... could God take from us someone so young, so innocent. It would be easy to turn away from God... but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from His love. We are here today to find comfort in the truth of scripture and to surround Will and his family... "

Jonathan was holding his mother up while the boys surrounded Caroline. Dustin was standing behind her, occasionally rubbing her back and Mike and Lucas held her hands. Lucas ran his thumb across her hand and she tried to ignore the jolt of electricity that ran between them.

Sniffling turned kid's heads to see Jennifer Hayes crying. Caroline hadn't seen her since Jennifer's sleepover party. The one that had left Will all alone to try to get home.

"Just wait till we tell Will that Jennifer Hayes was crying at his funeral," Dustin whispered into Caroline's ear. The boys all grinned until Karen Wheeler leaned over and shushed them.

Then, after what felt like an eternity, the funeral was over. People approached the Byers, giving their condolences, while Lonnie pretended that he cared. Caroline still couldn't believe that he was back. He didn't care about Will, that much she knew for certain. So what did he want?

"Mr. Clarke?" Mike asked from his seat. The kids were sitting at one of the tables during the reception.

"Oh, hey, there." Mr.Clarke smiled sadly at them. "How are you kids holding up?"