CHAPTER 10: Invention of the Middle Finger

"Face up, our love's, craving for some feeling

Game's up, we're nowhere to be found

I'm stuck, I'm stuck, I'm stuck here in my skin

I'm stuck, I'm stuck, I'm stuck with you"

-Easier, Mansionair

"THIS IS RANDOLPH ROAD, RIGHT HERE

"THIS IS RANDOLPH ROAD, RIGHT HERE. The fence starts here, and goes all the way around. And this is the lab right here. The gate's gotta be in there somewhere. It's gotta be." Lucas sat back, fidgeting with the stick he had used to draw a map in the dirt.

Dustin ran a hand through his curls. "Well, who owns Hawkins Lab?"

"The sign says 'Department of Energy'." Lucas sighed.

"Department of Energy? What do you think that means?"

"It means government. Military," Mike said confidently. His black hair hung in his eyes, making him look much older than he really was.

"Then why does it say 'Energy'?" Dustin demanded.

Mike made an exasperated noise. "Just trust me, all right? It's military. My dad's told me before."

"Mike's right. There's soldiers out front," Caroline confirmed, thinking back to what she had seen with Lucas earlier.

"So they make lightbulbs or something?" Dustin asked.

Caroline glared at him. "You are the reason God invented the middle finger."

Mike shushed her. "No, Dustin. They make weapons... to fight the Russians, and commies and stuff."

"Did you just shush me?" Caroline demanded.

"Weapons," Lucas repeated, looking horrified.

"Oh, Jesus, this is bad." Dustin groaned.

"Yeah, Mike's about to die," Caroline growled.

Lucas put a hand over her mouth and she licked it, glaring at him. "Really bad. The place is like a fortress."

"Well, what do we do?" Dustin asked.

"I don't know, but we can't go home. We're fugitives now."

The kids sat in silence as the words settled in. They were twelve year old fugitives. Suddenly, the whole action movie, runaway concept didn't seem as cool anymore.

The sound of a helicopter whirring close overhead made Caroline let out a very pathetic whimper.

"Guys? Do you hear that?" Dustin looked up.

The kids jumped up and suddenly scrambled around.

Lucas helped Caroline shove the bikes under the bus, Dustin joining in. The helicopter seemed to get closer and closer until they abandoned their efforts and climbed into the old rusty bus.