𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆

Something hungry for blood.

A terrible, low chittering noise filled the air- too animalistic to be human, but not human enough to be recognized.

It was something much darker. Much more sinister-

Something that didn't belong in this world.

Will Byers ran through his home, head pounding and panic pulsing deep in his bones. The feeling of being chased- the feeling of becoming prey- wasn't something he'd ever experienced before in his twelve small years on Earth.

It was the first time, but it wouldn't be the last.

"Mom!" He shouted, panic racing through him. "Mom! Jonathan! Callie!"

No response.

He picked up the phone, fumbling with the cord, and quickly dialed the number for the police.

Radio static. There was a loud and continuous beeeeeeeep when the line fell through. His heart climbed up to his throat and he fought back tears threatening to spill over.

He was alone.

His heart beating in his throat, feeling sick with panic, Will threw his back door open and sprinted into his shed.

He slammed the door behind him and looked around frantically, feeling a tiny glimpse of relief when he saw what he was looking for; on the counter lay a rifle. He remembered vaguely how to work it; he and Caroline used to practice with their father before he left...

Will loaded the weapon and aimed it at the shed door.

A shadow grew on the wall behind him.

Shaking uncontrollably, holding back a sob, Will Byers turned slowly and stared the horror in front of him.

The single light bulb hanging from the ceiling swelled suddenly, turning from its usual dim yellow to a bright white- until the entire space was blindingly illuminated.

Then, just as quickly, the light dimmed.

And when it did, Will Byers was gone.

Across the city, a little girl sat bolt upright in her sleeping bag, only one thought in her mind:

Will.