CHAPTER 9: That's What She Said

"When people pin me as a clown

You behave as though I'm wearing a crown

When I'm lost I feel so very found

When you anchor me back down"

-Anchor, Mindy Gledhill

"GET SOME REST, OKAY?" Lucas waited for Caroline to meet his eyes

They stood on her back porch. Caroline was wrapped in his jacket for the millionth time that week, feeling shakier than ever. A deep, gnawing, horrible kind of hunger tore at her. She felt like she had never eaten before, but at the same time, the thought of food made her want to puke.

Oh, god, is this is how Will is feeling... She thought.

"Use your Walkie if you need anything." Lucas let go of her hand and started to turn away before Caroline lunged forward to grab him.

"Where are you going?" She said. Her eyes narrowed when she saw the guilty look on his face. "You're going to try to look for Will, aren't you?"

Lucas sighed. "Callie, the worse he gets, the worse you get. He's dying in there. He's my best friend, okay?"

"Lucas, listen," she said softly. "I want Will back more than anything. But running out in the middle of night to god knows where won't help anything. And there's no way in hell you're doing this without me."

"Caroline..."

"No. Luke, listen. Just... wait until tomorrow. Then we can go together, alright? I'll feel better in the morning and I will have had another one of those weird... dream things. Then we'll know where in the Upside Down he is. We need time to prepare."

Lucas didn't respond.

Caroline sighed and pulled him into a hug. He was stiff at first, but soon enough he melted into her.

"Promise me," she whispered. "Promise me you won't do this without me."

Lucas nodded into her shoulder. "I promise."

Two minutes later, Caroline walked into her house, feeling like she was floating. There was a huge grin on her face and a giddy feeling she couldn't explain. Being around Lucas just made her feel... happy.

Happier than she had been in a long, long time.

"Look, we gotta go through this again."

"I told you everything that I saw."

Caroline's brows narrowed when she heard the unfamiliar voice next to her mother. She walked into her living room, shoulders slumping in relief when she saw Chief Hopper on the sofa.