CHAPTER 12: When The Party's Over

"don't say no,

i'm no good for you

i've learned to lose you

cant afford to"

-when the party's over, Billie Eilish

THOSE WORDS WERE ALL THE PARTY needed. Promptly leaving behind their pudding stash, they began to sprinting to the exit of the cafeteria.

"How did they find us?!" Lucas hissed.

"I don't know, but they knew we were in the gym," Mike panted.

Just then, agents burst through the door, looking bigger and meaner and scarier than any bully Caroline had ever met.

One man spoke into his walkie, "Got 'em!"

"Go, go, go, go, go!" Mike shrieked.

Caroline was frozen in place, barely registering when Lucas grabbed her hand and pulled her down the hall, far away from the door.

They sprinted down the other way, turning the down the hall but stopping abruptly when they saw they were cornered on both sides.

"There they are!"

"Freeze!"

They were stuck.

Caroline had never had a gun raised towards her before. It was a strange, out of body experience, knowing you couldn't escape. In that moment, death was inevitable. It was inevitable anyway, though. Everyone died.

She was at peace as she met the woman's cold, unfeeling eyes with a set jaw. The woman pursed her lips, taking aim, and-

BAM.

don't say no,

i'm no good for you

A blunt force hit Caroline's stomach, making her double over. A hand instinctively went to the right side of her stomach, noting faintly that the skin around the area stung, worse than any  infection or scrape she had ever had.

"NO!"

i've learned to lose you,

cant afford to

Caroline had never heard such a horrified sound come from one of her friends before, let alone Lucas.

Brave, brilliant, Lucas, who had only cried once in all the years Caroline had known him, and that when his grandmother died.

Now, as her knees collapsed, and she felt his warm, strong hands catch her, she looked into his beautiful brown eyes and saw rare, raw emotion. He quickly pressed the fabric of his shirt to the wound, making her gasp in pain.