Chapter One Hundred and Seven - Blessings and Curses

The large supermarket chains, before the end, were no longer satisfied with simply supplying food and daily necessities such as toiletries and cleaning products. They had slowly expanded into other areas providing makeup and perfume, small household electricals and homewares, toys and clothing. The contents of this lorry highly reflected that and didn't contain food products with the exception of some large bags of dry dog food as well as bird seed, feed for small rodents and bags of wood shavings.

Otherwise, there were movable metal storage containing medicines, sunscreen, moisturiser and soaps, as well as plastic trays containing trays plastic wrapped pieces of clothing, though they would need to go through it properly to see specifics. Toys and electronic games were stored in cardboard boxes, unfortunately much of this was useless due to the lack of electricity at this time, but there were also boxes of cushions and fleecy blankets in matching colours, towels and bathroom mats. They definitely could not say that this stuff lacked use.

Shaun was carried out of the other truck to seal this one, before Cole started it up to check its fuel situation in order to take the vehicle back as intact. The tyres lacked some pressure, they worked together with Ren Zexian to rectify this, but it was clear that one of the tyres had a slow puncture. They could only hope it held for a bit as they slowly trawled back to their base.

*****

Meanwhile, all cultivation had been put on pause for those remaining on base as they vigilantly manned the walls. With the exception of Chang Min and Nathan, those that remained behind were all of primary cultivation or were ordinary people. Their experience manning this walls was also mixed, with the newcomers having only taken on this duty for a matter of weeks. Fortunately, the threats were minimal. Lone wandering zombies provided a moving target for development purposes, small groups could help tighten teamwork and anything more serious was quickly dealt with by Chang Min.

Just that this morning, Chang Min felt he was about to breakthrough and had to abandon the teams on the wall.

"Ah, let's just hope nothing serious hits the walls," Jimmy said as he preloaded several metal crossbows as he gazed over the scenic fields, which were heavily filled with wildflowers and yellow grasses.

"Shut up!" Monika hissed at him. Arthur also glared at his comrade in arms.

"What for?" Jimmy complained, pitying himself as he thought that they were ganging up on him again.

"Just stop talking, crow beak!" Monika demanded. "Everyone knows that when you say something like that, it's bound to happen!"

"Too late," Arthur sighed before grabbing several javelins from the metal weapons supplies that Shaun had created for them over the months. His muscles flexed and stretched as he used his strength to deftly aim at the large, mutant zombie heading towards them.

"Holy crap! That doesn't look human!" Jimmy complained as he lifted the first crossbow to shoot at the monstrous form. The bolt went wide and he found his crossbows snatched from him by Monika who also judged him as useless.

"Go find help," she ordered him as she began firing the weapons into the undead thing. Before now, all of the zombies that they had faced could be roughly distinguished based on their original forms, no matter how ugly or disgusting that form had become as it rotted away over time. But this thing, it had two thick legs, but no feet. It had two arms, but attached to them were long, sharp claws of bone, there were no palms visible. It's stomach was bloated and it's neck had collapsed so that it's head was nestled into its collarbones. For some reason it only faced upward with a wide, open mouth filled with blackened teeth dominating the face and its eyes had sank to the sides of its head and moved around in their sockets freely. But the most frightening thing had to have been its size; it was almost four metres in height.