Chapter One Hundred and Fifteen - Lazy November Mornings

Nathan was never one for change in his routine, but perhaps because his Xian was there, he managed to adapt fairly well to the move into the third property.

The two men now lived in a small reception room that had possibly been a study or cosy living area of sorts, just them, a comfortable bed covered with thick duvet's, a chest full of Nathan's clothes and a small, cast iron fire place created by a deft hand and based on an electric imitation that Shaun had once seen.  There was no residual warmth coming from it this morning and so his beloved felt not the chill of the dawn air upon rolling out of the bed, Ren Zexian added fresh wood and lit it aflame not long after returning from his bout upon the walls.

This stove was more than adequate to heat the room that had been hastily decorated with rugs upon the wooden floors, thick curtains on the windows and ply board that had been added to three walls to thicken and add warmth to the cold brick ones beneath.  Only the wall in which the stove was added was treated differently, using tiles to make a simple patterned backdrop, then shelves for a few necessities such as a tea set and a few tins of tea blends.  A frying pan, saucepan and spoons dangled from hooks underneath the shelves so that the two men could make simple meals or reheat stews and soups sent from the main house during each visit.  All in all, Nathan was very comfortable living in this peaceful manner with just the older man beside him.

Nathan didn't linger long in bed when he realised his Xian had returned home.  That was one of the minor things he didn't like; Xian would leave him while he slept peacefully in the early hours just following what once would have been the toll of midnight to walk the perimeter of the house then take his assigned place upon the walls.  If Nathan woke during his absence, he wouldn't be able to fall back to sleep, just would nestle in the blankets, trying to absorb any lingering scent to comfort himself until that man once more appeared before him.  It couldn't really be helped, Nathan was not stupid enough to think that they could pass this winter without worries caused by the outside world, but he didn't have to like it.

The hot water began to bubble, Nathan moved out from beneath the layers of warmth and quietly headed to the small 'bathroom' that had been added by an adorning door.  Considering the plumbing that had already been in place, this was once a cloakroom toilet, but it had been adequate enough for a metal partition to be added along with the small metal sink and toilet.  After adding a little more pipework, the room had become a wet room for showering as well as the usual morning ablutions.  The soil pipe left in its usual direction, but the soapy grey water was redirected to a tank in the basement to be reused as toilet water or for cleaning surfaces.  Nathan did not like to use it on his plants if he could avoid it.

Nathan dried himself down before placing a hand on the metal tank above the shower head in order that Ren Zexian could wash his own body after Nathan was done.  Ren Zexian never lingered over long in the tiny shower room and soon rejoined his lover for a refreshing cup of morning tea.  Although they often sat there in silence, it was not at all uncomfortable and Nathan basked unknowingly in the abundant warmth from the fire, the beverage and the man sitting beside him.

Once the tea was drank, the cups washed in the bathroom sink before being hung on an overhead rack to drip dry over the same metal bowl, they finally left the room.  Nathan braced himself as he stepped into the brisk coolness.  The temperature in the hallway was low, possibly reduced to freezing point.  Ren Zexian squeezed his hand below heading right while he lingered watching the back of his man before walking in the opposite direction; left.

The door of the room he head into was closed, trapping the little warmth that would have built through the sun's morning rays inside.  Nathan entered to see walls and floors abundant in green.

Originally in this room, the plan was to grow just potatoes, winter cabbages and such, food crops, nothing else.  But Nathan brought in ivies, sweet pea plants and other climbers from outside, climbers that could cover the bare walls with growth adding warmth, yet also providing the manner of protection unique to himself.  He'd also added a smaller, hanging spider plant in the sleeping room in part for this purpose.  That and he did not feel comfortable without that spray of greenery.