Taking Flight: Chapter Three

Ulan glanced at the clock for the third time in five minutes. It was nearly the end of his day, but every second he was closer, time seemed to pass slower and slower. The day had gone the same as always, and he was eager to be off work.

After an interminable wait, he finally spotted the clock striking the end of his work day and eagerly took off his uniform to head up the stairs to his room to write music. He bounded up the stairs and took his seat, though found little coming to mind of what to write. His inspiration had faded recently, though he did not understand why.

Ulan sighed and watched the passersby outside his window. He could see people of all stripes out there; adventurer elves and humans, loving couples and families, regular workers, even some street toughs that would be chased off by police later. It was the same old same old outside the window.

Ulan looked up to the sky and pondered. There was a whole world out there, with countless people and countless fascinating places he could see. It was a somewhat scary thought, but one that excited him nonetheless, something he had been missing in his life for some time. He decided, then and there, that his years working at the family shop would come to a close soon.

Soon, he would set off to see the world.

Ulan grinned at the thought of new experiences and started about his regular routine, beginning with his mail. The first thing to catch his eye was a parcel from the record company he sold his songs to. Opening it, he read the wonderful news that his songs were all selling very well. Pairing it with the bank letter he opened next that read his now considerable accounts, Ulan felt the fire grow in his belly.

He set the notices aside to show his parents when he told them he wanted to head off on his own. He had his own source of income now, one he didn't really have to work for and that he would of course continue adding to over time with more music and works. Ulan skipped the other parts of his little routine and prepared his items for dinner.

"Ulan!"

When his mother finally called him down, he gathered up his documents and made his way down the hall to the dining room. His parents were already seated on the cushions around the table, saying prayers of thanks for their good fortune. Ulan quickly sat beside them and joined in, adding in a prayer that they might understand what he wanted to do.

"Dig in, hungry men!" Ulan's mother said encouragingly.

Ulan jumped right into it. If he did leave, the one thing besides his parents themselves that he would miss the most was home-cooked meals. But, then again, he would get to experience plenty of other kinds of meals.

The family ate in relative silence, as always, until they were nearly finished with their plates. Ulan's parents began discussing what they needed to restock, what they needed to make, materials, etcetera. Ulan twiddled his claws, trying to find a good opening.

"Son," his father said, glancing in his direction. "You wish to ask something?" His father could always read him like a book.

"Ma, Da," Ulan said. "I... uhhh..."

"Speak, son, we will always listen," his mother said. Ulan looked back and forth between his parents, both of whom nodded vigorously.

"I wish to travel."

"Travel?" Ulan's mother said.

"I want to see the world."

"Oh."

"Uhhh... I, I have plenty of money saved, up-" Ulan pulled out the mail documents he had received- "I can always stay somewhere, and, and, I will be able to eat, and-"