Chapter 41

December 5th

I go down the escalator searching for Rachel somewhere in this airport. As I get to the floor I find her. She is with a guy and they are carrying my luggage. Rachel hugs me and I hug her back. After we release each other, me and the guy next to her just exchange awkward eye contact. I've met him before, but I forgot his name. He is one of Rachel's many roommates.

"Ready to go do some bounty hunting?" Rachel smiles and hands me some of my bags. "After we go move you in."

"Bounty hunting? Rachel, he isn't in or needing to go to jail." I giggle.

"I know, but it's just fun to think we are going to be like real bounty hunters." She starts walking toward the exit.

"I'm Max, I don't know if you remember me." He gives me a familiar smile. Memories of us smoking colored cigarettes together.

"No, I remember." That night was crazy.

"So, I was thinking we start with your sister." Rachel helps me put my bags in the car. "Since she's his doctor and stuff."

"How did you know that?" I get in the passenger seat.

"I've done my research."

"Your such a stalker." I laugh.

"No I'm a bounty hunter." We both giggle.

We start to drive. What if Toby doesn't want me back? What if he does want me back, then what do I tell Zack? Maybe I should just tell him the truth. I stare out the window all the way to Rachel's house. We unload my stuff and go inside.

"Where is everyone?" I ask.

"They are at work. I don't let them live here for free." She leads me up to my room. Rachel pulls out a set of keys and unlocks the door. "This is the closest room to mine that is available. There are a couple new boys since last time you were here, a lot have left, and there is a girl."

"What's it like living with a girl?"

"She is young, but sweet. She got emancipated, and is living here until she saves enough money to buy her own apartment." Rachel helps me get all my bags in my room.

"I'll unpack later, so let's go find my sister." I want to find Toby soon. My sister can't legally tell me his personal information. I don't know who else to ask. "We aren't going to my sister. Let's go get in the car." I give Rachel turn by turn directions.

"This is where you are going to find Toby?" She looks at the small, worn down coffee shop.

"He probably isn't going to be here, but these people will know more than my sister." I start to get out. "I might be a while." I shut the car door. The cold air hits me. I rush inside the warm coffee shop.

"Alice!" Carol greets me. She puts down the tub of coffee cups.

"Hi Carol!" She hugs me. "You look great! How have you been dear?"

"I've been alright. I'm actually wondering about Toby. Has he told you about us breaking up?" Her eyes light up as I mention his name.

"Yes, but he wouldn't tell me why. He is with this girl. She just isn't as pretty as you, though." She gives me kind smile. "I haven't seen the twinkle in his eyes since last time I saw him with you." The news hits me harder than when I was told he was with a girl. All I want is for Toby to be happy. "Do you know what twinkle I'm talking about?"

My eyes start to water up. "I sure do. How has he been?"

"Well, he claims he is in love with this girl. They are going off and getting married next week, but I'm sure you already knew about this. I told him not to marry that girl." She shakes her head.