The Enemies' Kids

Începe de la început

As soon as I see the fence my stomach turns and I tug on Carl's hand to stop. 

"What's wrong?" he questions. 

"What if someone figures out it's me?" I say quietly. 

Carl takes of his flannel and places it around me. "Put that on," he says, and I do what I'm told. He finally takes his sheriff's hat off of his head and moves it to mine. "And if anyone happens to recognize my beautiful girl, I'll make up some story of how I found you and you want to talk to my dad. Or Michonne, I don't know." He gently kisses my forehead and whispers into it, "I won't let anything happen to you."

Feeling a bit better about the situation, we approach the edge of the woods. Carl tells me to stay put while he checks out the walls to make sure no one is around who can see us. He beckons to me and I cautiously walk closely beside him, gripping his arm and hiding my face under his hat. 

"I'll go first," Carl tells me and starts climbing up the wall. When he reaches the top he scans the area and then motions to me to start climbing. When I reach the top my stomach flips again as I realize how real this is. I could die inside these walls. We both climb down together and Carl wraps an arm around my waist, guiding me in the direction of his house. 

Seeing the people of Alexandria just being... people made me feel bad for what my dad does to them. Some people are gardening, some are standing by the gates to let people in, and some are relaxing on their porch. This town looks much less depressing than the Sanctuary. 

Carl grips me tighter as we walk in sight of people, but we only get a few looks before everyone goes back to what they were doing. 

"I can't believe how smooth this is going," Carl says quietly. 

I nod my head, still too anxious to speak right now. 

Finally- finally- after what felt like a half hour (which was really only two minutes) we reach the top of Carl's porch and he places his hand on the doorknob. "Wait right here. I'm just going to see if Dad or Michonne are in here." He peeks his head in and then grabs my hand, pulling me through the doorway. 

I sigh in instant relief as Carl closes the door behind me and we look at each other with big smiles. "Carl, that was really fucking stupid."

"But it worked."

"Yes, but I could have been seen!" I laugh.

"But you weren't. And it worked," he repeated, placing his hands on my waist. 

"Now how am I going to get back?" I question sarcastically, although I'm seriously wondering. 

Carl pauses for a moment. "That's a problem for future us. Let's go cuddle."

I giggle and shake my head, following Carl up to his room. "You sure I won't get caught here?"

"Ali, Dad never comes in here. He's always busy in Alexandria. And even if he does, I can just hide you in my closet or something."

I turn my head to look out of the open door and realize that Carl knows this place better than I do. He's right. I turn back around and lay down on his bed, snuggling into his blankets. Even though it was warm outside, it's cool in here. 

"You do realize cuddling takes two people, right?" Carl chuckles. 

"Well, come here then," I tell him, opening my arms. 

He jumps onto the bed next to me and scoops me into his arms, lifting me on top of him and wrapping the blankets around us. "I love you so much. I don't know what I'd do without you. Your dad is an asshole-"