Part 9

I'll test my theory tonight.

I didn't call Ayesha. I will test it first and then show her.

I messaged her I'll sleep early.

Roshini had already messaged she'll be out at a party.

So at 11:30, an hour after we had dinner I went up to the terrace.

I lied down on the floor exactly on the patch. I took out the butter knife I had stolen from the dining table.

Okay now suppose I just cut my wrist. And now I'll obviously throw away the knife with the other hand. I gestured to throw when I realized something.

Why would I care where the knife was? It's not like the suicide is secret. If I've decided to die I could die with it in hand.

I stood up.

Wow. Now that was some quick proving.

I headed downstairs to Ayeshas room when I stopped dead.

She was carefully opening the main door.

She opened it just enough for her to pass and went out.

I quickly ran back to the terrace.

I followed her along the edge of the terrace. She walked all around the house to the backside.

Then I noticed a guy standing in the shadow of the Malhotra's house.

I squinted and leaned forward.

They hugged each other and then started talking frantically. I tried my best to hear but the wind was in the opposite direction.

Wow. Ayesha is having an affair with someone?

I checked for any cars or bikes but there were none.

Our house is very far off and I don't think I heard any car at all tonight.

So either that guy is Mr. Malhotra himself or their elder son that aunty was telling me about, I forgot his name.

No doubt she was telling not to accuse Ryaan!

I couldn't believe it.

Ayesha? .....with someone other than our religion, if dadi was alive and got to know about this she'd...

Fuck.

Holy shit.

I forced myself to inhale a deep breath after a whole 2 minutes.

I saw Ayesha coming back towards our house and quickly ducked. I ran back to my room, just in case she had seen me and came to check.

Faiz uncle lay awake holding his phone. He saw me coming in.

'You are having fun here right beta? I hope you're not getting bored?'

He said without looking away from his phone.

'Yes uncle. I love the night view of the sky. I'm loving it here.'

Silence. Deafening silence. I think I'm gonna get sick. I need a distraction.

'Uh uncle, how long have the Malhotra's lived here?'

He closed one eye as if calculating.

'About 6-7 months.'

'Do you know them well?'

'Yes. They always invite us on festivals and so do we. They're good people. Good neighbours.'

'Yes. I met them the other day. But I couldn't meet their elder son.'

'Oh Sameer? He's a nice fellow. He even repaired my car once. He's a Mechanical Engineer somewhere in upper Calcutta (Kolkata).'

'Oh, that's nice.'

For a Mechanical Engineer? Seriously Ayesha?

'Beta turn off the light. It's late. Let's sleep. Tomorrow we'll take you all to Victoria Memorial. We haven't taken you anywhere the whole week.'

I turned off the lights. There was no trace of sleep in my eyes.

All this while Ayesha?

No doubt you hated my theories dear sister.

My poor dadi. She must have seen them meeting that day, just like I did today.

I can't believe she is sleeping peacefuly just below our room, dreaming of being in Sameers arms.

She did reach dadi first right after the scream. She must have been right there the whole time.

Watching her die. She must have thrown away the knife herself after she .......killed her.

I remembered how her alarm had ran off that day at the exact time when dadi goes to pray. Ayesha never prays, why else would she have her alarm set that way?

And that other day when she talking on call. It must be Sameer. Maybe discussing how I was so close to catching her.

And oh my god. When she had called me to the back of the house, she must have just see-ed off Sameer!

She has been lying to me and each one of us all this time!

Suddenly I was enraged. What was my poor dadis fault? Why the hell did she have to pay?

I got up and went to her room.

She was sleeping with a blanket on. Sure. You must be cold, you cold-blooded murderer!

I punched her leg really hard. The fist went all the way down to the bed, collapsing the false leg shape made out of blanket.

'What?' I muttered.

The door closed behind me with a loud bang. Before I could turn around Ayesha pushed me on the bed.

I saw a blade gleam in her hand as she thrusted it towards my head.

I held her wrist with both of my hands.

'What the hell are you doing Ayesha! I'm Waseem!'

'I know. But now you know! Arrghhhhh.'

She gritted her teeth and pushed with all her might using the other hand as well.

The tip of the blade touched my nose.

I saw the lights turn on outside from under the door.

'Ayesha? Are you alright? What's going on? Open the door,' Aleema aunty said from outside.

'Aunty break down the door!'

'Waseem beta, are you in there too?'

'Aunty call the police Ayesha is..aaahh'

Ayesha put all her weight on her knee on my stomach.

I realized I wasn't using my legs. With the little air I had left in my diaphragm I pulled up my knee hard against Ayeshas lower back.

She arched back groaning and holding her back.

I took in air.

Ayesha had lost her grip already. I pushed her hard with both my hands and she fell on the side.