Chapter | Thirty-two

Magsimula sa umpisa

Aunt Feli takes a seat next to me and hands me an orange juice.

"You should have one every day, you know?" she tells me, and I smile at her back.

"Thank you, aunt Feli."

"Welcome, sweetie," she replies and joins me in admiring Emillia playing with Jason and Massimo.

"Seems she has a great time, doesn't she?" she says.

"Yeah. Jason looks smitten with her as well," I reply with a smile, sipping from my orange fresh.

"Maybe it's time for him to be a father," aunty says and gives me a meaningful look, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"He's just my guard, aunt Feli," I scold her in my defense, shaking my head at her playful thoughts.

"Oh, don't understand me wrong, sweetie. I know it's not him the father of your baby. But Jason seems to be more than just a guard, Eve. And he's a good kid, really. Not bad looking either," she continues and shifts her eyes to them again.

"Enzo is the father," my mouth speaks by itself, and I do my best to avoid her look but I can still see her from the corner of my eyes sucking in air and pressing one hand on her chest, mouth gaping in shock.

"Che cosa stai dicento?" she bluntly asks unable to hide the impact of my words on her. (What are you saying?)

"Enzo is the father of my baby, aunt Feli. Nobody knows but you. And Jason. And I know I'm asking too much because he's your brother, but I need you to give me time, just a little more time. I want to tell him myself," I say holding high her stunned stare, with coldness in my eyes and high hopes she listens.

"Does your mother know about you two?" she asks the only question I've never thought she'll ask.

"I don't know if she knows, pretty sure she must have figured it out by now."

"Eve, you need to speak to your mother. Or Enzo. There are things you don't know, sweetheart, things that have happened and..."

"I don't want to talk to them, aunt Feli! I don't want to know what has been or is between them. It's just me and my baby and I'll make sure that my baby will not be a second Emillia. My baby will not know the rejection of its father," I reply, my voice going higher pitched with every word.

"Eveline..." she mumbles, but I stand up and make my way back to our cars. I can't take more talking about the subject. It hurts. It hurts missing Enzo the way I do.

Aunt Feli calls my name a few more times, but I don't stop my determined steps. The memories, missing Enzo like missing a part of my body, the battle between my heart that keeps shouting to go back to him and my brain telling me that Enzo might not want another baby, this entire whirlpool of thoughts is taking me down as I feel my knees giving in under the weight of my body.

"Eveline! Eveline, stop!" I hear Jason shouting and running after me.

I keep walking, hoping I can reach the car before I collapse, as my legs are shaking and I can't feel my arms.

Heavy dizziness is invading my head and my vision gets blurry, but before I completely blackout, Jason's strong arms grab me, and I thank God that I can finally give up the struggle to stand on my feet, putting my entire trust in his hold.

"Eve! Eve, look at me! Eveline!" I hear Jason's shouting, hovering above me and lightly shaking my head. I do want to answer him, I do want to speak, but my throat is dry and I'm unable to form any words.

I don't know how long it has passed before I come back to my senses. I blink a few times before I completely open my eyes and realize I'm in my room, at aunt Feli's house.