Between the Eyes

I curse as I roll with the force of the van should it hit a human. My arms wrap around Bella to take most of the brunt. My body can handle it, hers can't. Despite the steel cages of my arms, our bodies roll five times, each one causing Bella to whimper or scream.

Her elbow breaks first, soon followed by her leg, and then finally, her head impacts the asphalt when we come to a stop. Sounds outside our bubble return full force; screaming erupts from every direction. Among the hundred voices vying for my attention, my father and Alice are here.

"Oh, G-God," Bella whimpers. She gasps when I try to pull away, her finger tightening around me. "Edward." Another pained cry falls from her pale lips, almost as if I'm the only thing holding her together.

My dead heart lurches at the thought.

My father and Alice join us first, keeping others from closing in. "Let him check first; he's a doctor." Alice tries to diffuse the situation as it continues to escalate. The morbidly curious onlookers ask questions no one seems to have answers to... something about a runaway van.

Alice crouches beside us, and though she doesn't know Bella, she takes her small hand in hers. "Is there blood, Carlisle?" It's then I notice she's not breathing.

My father utters for her to stay back by way of answering. "Edward, pull back, son."

Every part of me begs to ignore the request; even the beast wants to linger. I have yet to breathe, fearing her scent will overwhelm me. Already the feel of her blood coating my fingers causes my hunger to stir.

Love, for once, blocks it long enough for me to pull back and fully assess the damage done to Bella's fragile body.

"The blood, son, are you all right?" Carlisle doesn't wait for my reply, asking me to assist in maneuvering her onto her back once he determines it's safe to do so.

"I'll endure it."

"What the hell just happened?" Alice keeps her voice too low for humans to hear.

Gently, I grip Bella's shoulder as she cries out and rolls toward me. Whispered lies that she'll be the okay, filter through my lips in a tone that has hundreds of questions forming in Carlisle and Alice's minds.

Bella wants to curl into herself, the pain likely horrendous, but Carlisle holds her still as tenderly as possible.

"Edward, it hurts."

I close my eyes; her pain is my own. The idea of causing her more due to my inability to focus on anything but her is mind-numbing and heartrending. I can only take so much.

"Is she suffering?" My tone is severe enough for Carlisle and Alice to look at each other in concern. "Is she suffering?" This time anger fuels my words.

"Her concussion is severe. She's cracked three ribs, bruised the others. Her right leg is broken in three places, and her elbow is almost shattered. She's covered in road rash..." His voice becomes graver with every injury he lists. "One of her bones has punched through—"

I raise my hand to tell him silently that he needs to stop. I'm on the precipice of losing my mind and every ounce of control I possess. There's a need to lash out, destroy everything in my path in anguish and heartbreak.

I press my forehead to Bella's, gentle in my approach. The gesture shocks Carlisle and Alice enough that it's palpable, but it's easy for me to ignore.

"Forgive me." A kiss to her forehead warms me, but only for a too-brief moment.

Her eyes start to roll back as her body begins to seize. Before my father can react and provide assistance, I press my thumb between Bella's eyes...hard. Punching through layers and killing her instantly.