She says it very confidently, but I hear a hint of worry in her voice.

Deep down, none of us really know what kind of wrath killing a demon king could bring upon us, because no one has ever done it before.

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Kieran, Finn, and Kami say their goodbyes before Zane closes the door behind them. He lets out a heavy sigh and leans back against the closed door. His usually neat curls are tousled and unruly, his eyes sunken and bloodshot.

Even with his superhuman good looks, his exhaustion is obvious.

"You need sleep," I say, walking up to hug him, my head resting on his chest.

"You're probably right," he says with another sigh, wrapping his arms around me.

"I'm right?? Uh oh..."

"Why uh oh?"

"You must be another demon because there's no chance you're Zane," I say with a giggle.

"Oy!" he says, laughing slightly. "Okay Miss Cheeky, that's enough from you."

He grabs my butt and hoists me up. My legs instinctively wrap around him and I let out a surprised yelp as he carries me to the bedroom. In a quick motion, he places me on the bed and lies down next to me so that we're both facing each other. I laugh softly as he brushes my face with his fingertips, his eyes locked on mine as a broad smile stretches across his face.

"Why are you so happy?" I ask.

"Seriously, love? You're alive, you have your memories back, what's not to be happy about?"

"Oh, I dunno, just some unexplained disappearing Sirens and the town demons going south for the winter?"

"Of all the things that scare me, those don't even crack the top ten."

"Okay, then, macho man."

"Want me to show you just how manly I can be?" he asks with a shameless smirk, wrapping his hand around my waist and pulling my body up against his own.

"Not tonight, Romeo," I say, swatting his chest. "You are officially on bed rest. You look like you've hardly slept all week."

His eyes fall slightly and he bites his lower lip.

"You have slept, haven't you?" I ask.

"I've slept some."

"Zane... what's some?"

"I tried. I got a couple hours."

"You only slept a couple hours last night?"

"Er... this week."

"Holy crap, Zane! No wonder you seem so worn out! Why haven't you been sleeping?"

Although that does explain why I found the TV remote in the toothbrush holder last night.

"I just couldn't," he says with a sigh. "Those first few days, I thought you were never going to get your memory back. Then, when it started coming back, you lost consciousness. I was worried. Plus, I can't really sleep anymore without you in my arms."

His eyes dodge my gaze and he chews nervously on his lip.

"Aww," I say, nuzzling into his shoulder. "You could've told me—maybe I could've helped."

"You had plenty to deal with."

"Well, you don't get to decide what I do or don't get to deal with, okay?" I say, kissing his cheek.

"Mmm-hmm..." he hums, his eyes falling shut.

"I'll get you your pajamas," I say, attempting to stand up, but Zane's arm tugs me back into bed with him. "Zane, I have to get ready for bed."

A soft purring snore radiates from his chest as Zane snuggles deeper into his pillow with a faint smile on his face.

"Zane?" I whisper, but there's no response.

I lay down beside him and watch him peacefully drift into a deep sleep.

*****

My phone buzzes on the nightstand and I reach for it. The time reads: 10:42 am.

Crap. I guess we really slept in today.

The phone vibrates in my hand as a call comes through from the building concierge. I step out of the bedroom, treading softly across the floor to avoid waking Zane. I close the door behind me and walk out into the living room before answering.

"Hello?" I say, bringing the phone to my ear.

"Hello, Miss Reynolds?" the concierge says.

"Yes, this is she."

"We have a visitor at the desk asking for you," he says. "A Mister David Reynolds. Do you know this person? Would you like us to let him up to your floor?"

My stomach sinks and twists just hearing his name.

David Reynolds—my dad.

"Um..." I say, pausing to process what he's just told me. "No. Don't let him up."

"Alright, Miss Reynolds..." the concierge says.

"I'll come down to meet him."