CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: PRYNN

Sharp jabs of pain to the head is what wakes Carina up with a start and she instantly scowls

More of these blasted headaches which plague her occasionally. She's tried different concoctions, even making a few of her own but nothings worked so far.

She is too proud to bother Andrea with it, who likely would whip up a healing remedy in no time. Poisoners can be great healers after all. That's what Andrea told her once but didn't elaborate much on it. But most, including herself, only bother with brewing and handling poisons.

Why would a queen such as she bother with learning how to heal anyways? No. Poisons are much more helpful, especially with her upcoming Ascension. And she will always have the best healers available once she is queen crowned.

Still, she would like something to cure these dreadful headaches but at the same time she lectures herself not to be weak. Pain should not affect her so much if she had had more poisoner training as a child. But Andrea strangely never insisted upon it. Of course she was educated on all manner of toxics, venoms and poison and how to brew them.

But Carina never really built up her tolerance. Andrea told her that her gift was simply always there so she didn't need poisoner training. Perhaps that was a mistake as Carina's gift is temperamental these days. As much as she wishes she could she can't trust it, she's scared the Goddess will snatch Carina's gift back into her jaws where all of the dead queens gifts lie and their bodies with them.

Taking a deep breath, Carina manages to roll out of bed. Her hideously extravagant and detail four poster bed. Even the sheets and furs on it are black. The queens colours. And Carina snorts at that. Black is hardly a colour at all.

She wraps her dark silk robe around herself, it has a large snake sewn on the back - based of Sheshu and it was specially commissioned for her.

Yet another extravagant possession. Courtesy of the Arrons. Even with their fallen standing they still have years of wealth to fall back on. And they do treat her well. They provide only the best for their own and their future queen crowned of course. But they just like to bathe in their privilege and demonstrate it constantly with everything they do. Their clothes, their food even with the eloquence of their words.

They love to look down on people like the naturalists. But they are good honest people living off the land, they don't need finery or jewels.  Still, Carina would not like to be covered in dirt constantly so some aspects of being a naturalist, like farming, really doesn't appeal. But she thinks she would find a little comfort in being a naturalist, nature always makes her feel calmer.

Andrea tells her to relish in luxury and that it is only appropriate for poisoners. Ah yes. Poisoners do love wearing fancy clothes and pretty jewellery, all to hide to deceit and corruption they truly harbour. But that's the game. And to wear your heart on your sleeve in any way is a mistake.