Don't wake chapter 2

The bus slowly crept around the circle. I look out the window, nothing exciting. As usual, there are people standing in the front lawn making out. Some jocks are playing catch. Girls are walking around trying to see who's day they can ruin.

I don't have very many friends at school. I don't want them knowing what goes on at my house. Also, my dad doesn't like the idea of people knowing where we live, their names, etc. So i try to stay on the quiet side of things.

Single file we load off the bus. I quickly glance around. Carter and i get off the bus and begin to head towards our spot under a big willow tree near the left side of our huge school building.  He really is a very handsome boy. He is wearing a plain black t-shirt that shows his nicely toned stomach. He has dark blue jeans on and a belt. His hair is particularly messy this morning. He usually doesn't get up till last possible minutes and all he usually does is get dressed and brush his teeth. Thank God.

"So how was your night?" He asks, oblivious to the red mark on the side of my face.

"Eh, same old, same old." I say. He knows what i mean. I glance up to look at him, and he slightly grimaces away. He has told me several times that if he ever caught my dad hitting me, once, he would end up having to spend the rest of his life in jail. I believe him.

"Oh, well, uhm. Yeah." He stutters. He has a stuttering problem. Always has. Never fixed it. He says its something about him that's different from everyone else.

We hear the bell ring inside. He gently and gracfully gets up from where he is sitting and extends a hand to me. I take it, but trying to mostly get myself up. If i didn't i know that i would pull him down as well. Not that i would mind it. Him laying on top of me, under a willow tree.

He walks me to my first period class. He smiles at me when he goes to leave. I hate leaving him.

I go take a seat in my usual spot, mid back. The teachers runs in, obviously in a rush. My teacher, Mr. Thorgood, isn't exactly, uhm, small. in fact he is huge. obese. He is annoying as hell. He stands in the front of the room trying to catch his breath as the announcements come on. we all stand to say the pledge and then sit down to hear todays news.

*******************************************************************************************************

The school day was long and boring. Nothing eventful happened. As i walked out of my last period class, Carter came and caught up with me.

"Hey, you. How was your day?" He asks, calm, but i can tell there is something wrong. He has the same look he had when my dad walked in on us a few years ago.

"It was fine. Uneventful." I reply, restraining from asking why he looked so worried.

We walked to our lockers in silence. We have lockers very close to each other. The silence is awkward. I don't like it. We reach his locker first, he stop, looks at me like he wants to say something. I urge him to say something, anything. Instead, he rakes him eyes all over my face, turns, and undoes the lock on his locker. I head to mine.

I want to know what is bugging him. I hate seeing him like this. Usually when he is like this, it is something bad.

I head out to the bus, just as Carter caught up to me.

"Addison, lets walk home. Its not that far. We need to talk." I look up at him. Well, its all gonna come out now.

"OK, lets go then." I say back. He looks at me, and for the first time in a long time, i can't read what his expression is. He isn't one who is very good at it.

As we walk off the school grounds, he takes my hand in his. I am a little surprised with this gesture, but don't say anything.

"Addison, you can not let him keep doing this." He starts. I know what he is talking about. But i want clarification.