The Truth Is A Lie

Genevieve wasn't sure how long she had sat on that beach with Alaric. After she had dried her tears, they sat in silence for a bit. And when that became unbearable, he talked about his childhood in an effort to cheer her up. By the time they had walked back to her old villa, the moon was high in the sky. There was faint light shining from some of the broken windows of the old house, coming from what appeared to be a fire and some candles. The others had been able to fix up the ramshackle building well enough for them to spend the night. 

The wood door creaked as she opened it, alerting the others to her presence. She stepped over the threshold, followed closely by Alaric. Klaus was upon her in an instant.

"You didn't think that was something we deserved to know?" he bellowed. "That you're related to her?"

"That was none of your business!" she defended. "Our shared blood does not change the fact that she and I be forever enemies! And it does not affect my desire to rid the world of her, once and for all!"

"Oh yes it does! Blood always gets in the way! You might be fighting her right now, but in the not too distant future you might find yourself agreeing with her! I trusted you with my daughter's rescue and you threw your lies in my face!"

"I would never align myself with Circe! I promised you we would find your daughter and we did! So if you can't handle a few secrets, of which I'm sure you have plenty, then GET THE HELL OUT!"

They stood, mere inches from each other, for what seemed like hours. Finally, Klaus backed away.

"Fine. I'm leaving. Elijah, Rebekah, come on." He motioned for them to follow as he started towards the door, picking up Hope on the way, but they didn't make a move.

"Let's. Go." He pressed them to move, but still they didn't budge.

"I'm staying, Nik," Rebekah said.

"As am I," Elijah agreed.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Klaus growled.

"Dagger us if you will, brother, but we're staying here, with her, until Circe is gone for good. It doesn't matter if she hid her relationship, so long as it never gets in the way." Elijah gave Gen a pointed look, and she nodded slightly in response.

Klaus glared at them with a look that could kill, but they only stared back, daring him to make a move. But he didn't. He only huffed, and shook his head, before placing Hope in Caroline's arms, storming out, and slamming the door behind him. 

"Why didn't you tell us?" Damon asked from behind her.

She whipped her head around. "Why should it matter?"

"It matters because it means you didn't trust us," he replied. "It's not the fact that you're related, it's that you didn't trust us with that information. That you didn't trust me." He whispered those last words, as if he didn't want to admit that she had hurt him.

She knew she had. She knew that he struggled to let people in, and almost never did. But he had let her in. Had thrown open the doors for her. And she had practically slammed them in his face.

"It wasn't a matter of trust, Damon," she said quietly. "It was that I could hardly face the fact that she was my sister. It was that I didn't want you to look at my any differently because of my relationship to her. I knew that if I told you, whenever you looked at me, all you'd see was her."

"You know that's not true," Damon protested. "You know that it's not, but still...you lied to us. To me."

"I never lied," she shook her head. "I may have withheld the truth, but I never lied."

Damon just looked at her. Or, rather, looked through her. He didn't seem to believe her. He just sighed, and turned and walked out the door, closing gently behind him, unlike Klaus.

She took a step forward to go after him, but Stefan caught her arm.

"Don't. Not yet. He just needs time."

Gen nodded, but she still didn't seem to believe him. She turned back to face the others, realizing for the first time that Felix wasn't there.

"Where is my brother?" she asked. 

"Outside. He hasn't said a word since we came back," Bonnie explained.

She opened the door, and saw him across the field, sitting in the grass, the faint light of the full moon illuminating him.

The wind blew through the trees, the leaves rustling, creating an atmosphere of peace. But her mind was anything but peaceful as she sat down beside her brother.

"I can't believe they're gone," he whispered, not even looking at her.

"I know," she replied, putting her hand on his arm. "I can't either."

"I know...I know that it might have happened eventually. That they should have died a long time ago by nature's rules. But...when they'd been alive for so long, I just always believed that they would have lived forever. I never thought that Circe-" he cut himself off. "But I suppose I should have. After all, she wasn't above killing the twins for her own gains. And she adored them."

"Family means nothing to Circe. In the end, everyone is just a means to an end with her. No matter you relationship with her. Mum and Dad were expendable to her. And now they're gone."

Finally he looked at her. His eyes were red from crying, tear stains running down his cheeks.

"But it doesn't matter to you, does it? I mean, you don't care about anyone, do you? You didn't even care about saving your own parents," he reproached. 

She sighed. "I do care, Felix. More than you know. After all, I'm the one who made them, and you, immortal in the first place. So I wouldn't have to lose you. And now I have."

"So you have your humanity back, then?" 

"Yes, I do," she averted her eyes to hide her lie. She couldn't bare to tell him the truth. 

Even though he'd seen her at some of her worst moments, she didn't know what he'd think if he truly knew. If he knew that many of those times...she'd still had her humanity. And still, he hadn't seen her at her worst time of all. The one she could never bring herself to talk about. The one no one knew was her fault. 

"Are you alright?" he put his arm around her.

She shook her head. "No. But if I'm being honest, I don't think I ever will be again."

She leaned into his embrace, resting her head on his shoulder, staring up at the moon. There they sat, for a long time, two siblings, who had seen much and lost more, comforting each other the best they could.

                                                           -------------------------------------------------

Thank you all so much for 3k! I am so happy that so many people have loved this story! Thank you for your continued reading and voting! It means so much to me!

I hope you all liked that huge plot twist! I've been waiting and waiting to reveal it, and I hope ti shocked the lot of you😉. I am almost to the finish line! There will most likely be about ten more chapters, possibly fifteen, but we'll see! 

I am also planning to start a Harry Potter fic, and I've started an ACOTAR fic but haven't published it yet, so if you're interested in either of those, keep an eye out!

Again thank you for your support!

xoxo Grace