Epilogue

A Few Decades Later

For this final chapter, listen to Welcome to Wonderland by Anson Seabra

--------------------------------------------------------

Eirene sat at the table in the dining room of the Salvatore mansion, along with his friend Lexi, and her family. 

When she had found peace with her family, one of the first people she had met was Lexi, who asked after Stefan. Then, a few years later Stefan had joined them. He filled them in on what had happened, and how he came to be there. Then, in private, he told her how Damon was. It hurt her heart to hear about him and know she couldn't be there with him, and because she didn't know how long she would have to wait, but at least he was alive and happy. 

As she sat around the table, laughing and reminiscing, she thought she heard something outside.

A knock on the door.

Stefan looked at her, confused, before jumping up to answer the door.

She heard the door open, and for a moment silence. Then...

"Hello, brother." 

She knew that deep, voice, exuding confidence.

She leaped from the table, running to the foyer, skidding to a stop as she came into clear view of the door. Those crystal blue eyes locked onto hers, in a moment of surprise, then that arrogant smirk appeared on his face.

"Damon," she breathed, her face lighting up at the sight of him.

She walked to meet him, and he met her in stride, closing the gap between them, picking her up and swinging her around. Her legs flew through the air around them, a shriek of delight coming from her mouth.

"I've missed you," he whispered in her ear, breathing in her scent.

"I've missed you too, more than you can possibly know."

He set her down gently, and for the first time in so long, she reached up to cup his cheek. Then she pulled him in for a long deep kiss.

When she pulled away, she took his hand, and walked back to the dining room with him. She was happy. She had Damon, and her family. As for Damon, he had his brother, the love of his life, and the rest of time.

So they carried on, blissfully in peace, for eternity.