chapter xiv.

Y/N L/N

BELLAMY AND Clarke had the camp running smoothly and without complications since the grounders had unleashed biological warfare.  Groups were out hunting almost all day to prepare for the cold and Bellamy had increased security on the walls.

Octavia and I were working the meat tent, Del walking in and throwing more wood onto the fire. Despite the growing frostbite outside, the tent was a sauna.

"You don't want the fire too big," I heard Octavia tell Del. "Just try to knock it down with some wet leaves."

I didn't pay much attention to the two of them as I grabbed another sliver of meat to hang. Murphy walked into the tent, trying to tell Del that Octavia was right.

"You can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse," Del approached Murphy and got into his face. "Should be kissing our asses for being allowed back here." Del walked out and I went back to hanging new meat.

The meat tent had grown hotter by the minute as the three of us continued working. I could hear someone from outside the lodge shouting and turned to see half the meat on fire. Murphy grabbed Octavia and helped her out of the tent, both of them coughing and covering their mouths.

The fire was growing fast, but we still had viable meat left over. I grabbed what I could carry, trying to keep myself below the smoke and holding my breath when I needed to get above it.

"Y/N!" I could hear Bellamy shouting my name, but there was still more meat I could grab. Smoke was clouding my vision and it became difficult to keep my eyes open. I knew I wouldn't be able to save any more food, so I turned to run out of the tent just as someone had come in to grab me.

We ran away from the tent and I collapsed on my knees, still cradling the uncured meat. "Y/N, are you okay?" Bellamy asked me and I nodded my head, coughing. "What the hell were you thinking?"

I rubbed my eyes with the inside of my coat and tried to clear my throat before answering him. "I was trying to save us some meat. We probably only have another week of hunting days left and even then, the days are getting shorter," I explained, moving to my feet and brushing off the dead leaves. "I did what I could."

I could tell that Bellamy wasn't happy with me, but I wasn't going to let it upset me. I was able to save at least a week's worth of meat and I was okay with that. As the tent continued to burn, Murphy attacked Del.

"This is all your fault. We told you it was too much wood." Murphy shoved Del and landed a punch to the right side of his face.

Bellamy rushed to get between them and had them at arm's length, directing his anger at Murphy. "Save it for the grounders."

"Well, now what the hell do we do?" Octavia asked. "That was all the food."

We all stood watching the tent burn, the smell of burning meat filling the air. Bellamy and Clarke exchanged disappointing looks before he looked over to me. I could tell that he was more upset than angry with me, but I believe he's grateful I saved what I could. It makes his job just a bit easier.

The fire had finally ceased and Bellamy was looking over the damage as Clarke approached us. "What happened?" She asked, directing the question at me.