chapter ii.

Y/N L/N

THE FIVE of us ran as fast as we could away from the river and back to camp. We had to warn the others about what was out here, ready to hunt us. As we were running, Monty tripped and as Octavia bent down to help him, Clarke took notice of something.

Clarke picked it up off the ground and looked at the skull in confusion and dismay. "What are they?"

I looked down at the remainder of the skeleton and wondered what we were going to endure while here on the ground. A loud, distant scream could be heard and we all immediately knew it was Jasper.

Clarke started running back in the direction of the river and we ran after her, Finn hot on her tail.

"Clarke, stay behind the trees." Finn warned her.

We stood under the covering of the trees and looked at where Jasper had been struck down, but he was gone.

"They took him." Clarke said and I felt the hair on my arms stand up. I had started to believe that we were going to die on the ground. Not by radiation, as predicted, but by survivors of the radiation.

We had finally made it back to camp, stumbling in on what looked like an ugly fight between Wells and Murphy. Bellamy was watching on the sideline, seeming to enjoy the chaos he was instigating.

"Octavia, are you all right?" Bellamy asked, rushing to her side and taking Octavia off my shoulder. Octavia assured her brother that she was fine as he helped her down the rough terrain. "Where's the food?"

Finn told the group that we hadn't made it to Mount Weather and that we weren't alone on the ground. The skull Clarke found had burned itself into my brain, the shape of it so unusual and alarming.

"The good news is, we can survive here," Clarke tried to keep a positive attitude, trying to make up for the dread we would all be feeling shortly. "The radiation won't kill us."

"Yeah, but the grounders will." Finn told everyone.

This wasn't anything we had ever thought of dealing with or had dealt with before. It was frightening enough coming down here on our own, but now we'd have to protect ourselves on unknown territory.

Clarke told everyone what happened to Jasper and that he was still alive, somewhere with the grounders. While talking with Wells, Clarke had noticed that wristbands were missing and she confronted Bellamy.

"How many?" She asked, anger slowly growing in her voice.

"24 and counting." Murphy had stated, almost proud of the fact.

"You idiots," Clarke stated. "Life support is failing on the Ark. They need to know that the ground is survivable again, and we need their help against the surviving grounders. If you take off your wristbands, you're not just killing them. You're killing us."

For a moment, it seemed that the majority were listening to Clarke. Until Bellamy opened his mouth and started to rally the group against the Ark, once again targeting the privileged.