chapter v.

Y/N L/N

FINDING WELLS' body outside of the camp's walls sent terror through everyone inside them. I hadn't known Wells long, but I had known him enough to grieve his death. I said my peace after we buried him and let his grave be, knowing Clarke would need her time with him.

I spent a good amount of my time in the drop ship with Monty, it was too noisy outside as they were building the wall. Clarke and Finn burst into the drop ship and by the looks of it, Clarke was about to do something reckless.

Clarke bent down to Monty's level and demanded he take off her wristband. "Maybe you need a working one instead." She suggested.

Monty managed to get the wristband off Clarke's wrist without damaging it and worked quickly. "I did it," He announced. "It's still operational."

I walked up to Monty's workstation, asking him what was next. "If we can patch this into the mainframe, then we'll be able to talk to the Ark by nightfall."

"If you need help, just holler." I told him, walking out of the dropship to find Octavia and Jasper.

I saw Octavia and Jasper walking back into camp, their faces set with frightful expressions. I followed them into a tent, Bellamy and Clarke were also inside. I was slightly confused until I walked in further and saw Wells' missing fingers and a metal knife on the table.

I looked up at Bellamy. "What does this mean?" I asked, overhearing Clarke say the metal was from the dropship. Bellamy asked Octavia if anyone else knew about it and she shook her head. "Clarke?"

"It means the grounders didn't kill Wells," She responded, concentrating her eyes on the table. "It was one of us."

The idea of one of us murdering Wells wasn't a hard one to grasp, considering there were a few among us. I grew angry and I could only imagine how Clarke was feeling. Bellamy wanted to keep this quiet, but I could tell that wasn't sitting right with Clarke.

Clarke stormed toward the door, ready to get answers, but Bellamy blocked her path. "Get out of my way, Bellamy."

"Thinking the grounders killed Wells is good for us," He started. "We're building walls and setting patrols. They're motivated."

Bellamy and Clarke went back and forth, but Clarke wanted justice and demanded the people had a right to know. She wasn't wrong, but neither was Bellamy. Fear of the grounders was building that wall.

Clarke stormed out of the tent and shoved Murphy, confronting him about killing Wells with his knife. Everyone in the camp stood around to watch, dropping whatever they were tasked with doing.

I stood between Octavia and Bellamy, watching Murphy deny the allegation. Murphy tried to get Bellamy to weigh in, but Bellamy did nothing and Clarke continued.

"I don't have to answer to you. I don't have to answer to anyone." Murphy shouted as he walked away from Clarke.

"Come again?" Bellamy asked, almost hoping he'd heard Murphy right.

"Bellamy, look, I'm telling you, man. I didn't do this." Murphy was standing inches away from us, practically begging Bellamy to believe him.