Chapter 7 - The Special Person

I didn't want to see him kissing her anymore. I couldn't. It was hurting way too much. With tears stinging my eyes and blurring my vision, I stumbled to the food store. Shaking, I grabbed a few pieces of food and a bottle of water and disappeared into my allocated room. A low tremor rumbled through the hanger, which I assumed was a ship either taking off or landing. I closed the door and looked for a way to lock it, but there didn't appear to be one. I thought about moving one of the storage boxes in front of the door to block it, but I was feeling weak and shaky, like all my energy was being drained. I didn't want to see Keleon ... I needed to block the door.

But who was I kidding? It's not like he wanted to see me any more anyway. He was otherwise engaged. I collapsed on my pile of blankets, thinking I should really eat something, but I wasn't convinced my stomach would hold onto it. I blinked and felt my cheeks get wet, as anger turned to dejection and self-pity.

I was so stupid to think that someone as stunning as Keleon would only be exclusively interested in me. He could have anyone he wanted. Mia was pretty, and he was pansexual. It made sense.

I peeled open a ration pack and slowly forced the food down, with something that was green and fresh, and if I could have tasted it under normal circumstances, probably would have been sweet and enjoyable. But it was tainted with the bitterness of rejection, and after that I still had the task of forcing it past the lump in my throat. At least I was managing to keep it down. The tears hadn't stopped falling though. If anything, there were more and more of them. I had been right there watching. Surely, he must have been aware of that?

I chastised myself for letting myself get so wrapped up in someone I hardly knew.

I managed to finish the rest of the food and had just curled up on my blanket in a foetal position, when there was a soft knock on my door. I didn't answer.

The door opened a crack and Keleon poked his head round.

"Damon?" his soft voice reached out.

My body tensed, but I didn't change position.

I answered him with venom in my tone.

"What."

"You disappeared suddenly."

"No shit."

"Are you upset?"

"What the fuck do you think?"

"I think you're upset."

"I am upset, Keleon."

He entered the room fully and closed the door softly behind him.

"I don't understand why. Can I help? Do you want to talk about it?"

The anger started building again and I pulled one of the blankets over my head, growling loudly. There was another low-level rumble in the hanger, but I was too angry to process it properly. How could he not know what I was upset about?

I tried to compose myself and pulled my head out from under the blanket.

"You kissed Mia."

"Yes."

"Just 'yes'? That's it? Just 'yes'?"

I rubbed my hands through my hair in frustration.

"I'm not sure what else I should be saying."

I knew my tone was angry. I was nearly growling at him.

"Jesus Christ, Keleon. I thought ... I mean, it felt like we were a couple. I thought I was the one you were with."