ELEVEN

Keem

"King!" I heard a prison guard call for me. "You got a visitor!"

I frowned, confused. If it was one of my sisters or the mandem, they'd let me know before they got here and it can't be Ti, I just saw her an hour ago. Why would she come back so soon?

I walked towards the visiting centre and was cuffed as me and some other inmates walked through the gated doors to the visitors room.

Passing through the security door, I tried to see who had come to see me. Once I was uncuffed, I scanned the room. It was a girl. With light brown, curly hair in a short afro.

As I walked towards her, I could smell a familiar perfume.

It smelt like... bad memories, like heartache.

It can't be her.

My heart was beating so hard I could feel it in my throat.

The girl turned round in her seat, allowing me to see her face.

I froze.

"Hey, ugly," she stood up, smiling at me. "You're not gonna say anything?"

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Came to see you, heard from some old friends that you finally got caught," she rubbed her lips together then pursed them. "Did you miss me?"

Aightttt, let me explain.

This girl. Aaliyah. She was my everything. We were childhood loves. Together for over 3 years. We were the same person. As in, we were just like each other. I'm talking about, robbing rich white people's houses, fraud, pushing drugs, everything. We were good people, we were just poor, tryna help our families have a better quality of life.

I know it sounds mad coming from me, Keem King, but, we were so so so in love. Till she broke my heart.

She turned me cold.

She saw me kill a man for the first time and she couldn't take it.

I wonder how she'd react if she found out how many niggas I've killed these past couple years, lol.

I know she wanted to leave me and this life of crime. I kept trying to prove myself to her, telling her I'd change, that I'd drop the gang life if she stayed with me.

I lied to her, obviously, as we all know once you're in this shit, there's no getting out.

And she knew that. But she was too in love to bring herself to actually leave me. Even when our relationship took turns for the worse, she stayed by my side.

Our love gradually turned toxic, the only time we'd speak would be when we were arguing or fighting. There was a lot of 'I hate you' sex which would be followed by make up sex, only for us to start arguing again a few hours after.

We knew we weren't good for each other but our love was like a drug. We couldn't leave each other.

I loved her so much. But the gang life pushed her too far. Long story short, she ended up having to kill a man and she couldn't heal after that.

She just upped and left. Bitch took all her shit and disappeared.

She just left me.

I spent so much time thinking it was my fault, but a few months after she left, I started hearing shit about her taking me for a dickhead during our relationship and doing shit with certain man.

That's when I lost it and I lost all my trust in people.

It hurt even more cos she was fucking man that she knew I didn't fuck with. Couldn't have been random niggas, it were the niggas I'd told her we're pagans.