Chapter 7

I left the house at 3:30, phased, and started running towards Allie's house. I had a GPS in my brain, so I knew where I was going.

Luckily for me, her house was tucked against the forest. I simply phased a few houses down and started walking down the street to 2459 E. Willows St. I stopped at the yellow house, and looked at it with interest. It was a normal size; two floors, possibly a basement. The windows and door were fairly new, but the yellow paint was cracked and needed work. There was a small flowerbed in front of a big porch, which held chairs and a small, round table. It was very un-Alaska-like.

I rang the doorbell, and the door flew open. Allie's excited face looked at me, and her thoughts were like electricity. "Hey," I said.

"Hi Nixie!" she squealed back. "Come on in."

"Okay," I responded, smiling at her. She ushered me in and led me through a hallway decorated with family photos. I didn't have time to look at them; Allie was pulling me into a bright blue-colored kitchen, where a middle-aged woman was whisking batter in a bowl.

"Mom, this is Nixie," Allie said, standing aside to reveal me. Like a prize.

She woman turned around, and I could see she was once very pretty. She had crinkles when she smiled, her hair was streaked with gray, and her face wrinkled in certain places. "Nice to meet you, Nixie," she said, wiping her hand on her apron and shaking mine. "I'm Molly, or Mrs. Main."

"Nice to meet you, too, Mrs. Main." I smiled at her, and then Allie squealed and dragged me up to her bedroom, which was hot pink and decorated with Disney character stickers. I heard her brother in the other room, and count scents of many people coming in and out. Yes, I have super-senses, I just don't talk about them 'cause I don't like to brag.

She blushed as I surveyed the room. "I loved Disney, and didn't want to paint over them," she explained shyly.

"No, no, don't. I love Disney, too," I breathed, looking around. My gaze landed on her. "So, should we start?"

"Oh! Yeah, lemme get my backpack," she said, running out of the room. I sat down and unloaded my math, setting the empty backpack aside and laying the papers out. Allie came back a moment later with an armful of papers, and layer hers out next to mine.

"So, should we do your homework before we get into actually teaching?" I asked, eyeing her three-centimeter thick pile of homework.

She blushed. "That would be for the best."

I nodded and took off the first paper. We did that one, and continued on.

We did her math homework for an hour, and then it was all done. I let out a breath. "Okay," I said, throwing me head back. "What do you struggle with? I noticed you seemed to have a hard time with x and y-intercept."

She nodded. "Yeah, and also dividing x to the third power times y to the second power over y plus x to the third power minus x to the eleventh power. Stuff like that."

"Okay, so . . ." I delved into explaining, and for the next hour I helped Allie understand things she didn't understand.

After the hour was up, I told Allie I had to go. Maybe she's my friend? Allie thought.

"Uh, let's meet up again about biology?" I asked, trying to give her the idea I liked her.

She lit up so fast I thought she might secretly be a lightbulb. "Yes, oh, yes!" she squealed. She pulled me downstairs, talked quickly to her mom for a few minutes, and then faced me.

"Bye, Allie," I said, waving. "I won't be available until next Tuesday."

She didn't seem phased by this. "Okay!"

"See you at four, then," I called as I ran down the steps. Allie watched me as I walked out of her view, and then I heard her go back inside. I breathed in deeply, and literally saw my old scent trail. Werewolves' trails were yellow. Regular humans' trails were blue. But each werewolf and human had different shades and colors woven into their trails.

My trail was bright yellow- pure werewolf- and had had little red stripes within, which maybe meant mind-reader? Anyways, it had many different colors, all things did. Different species had different scent colors, too. Coyotes' were green. Bears' were red. Rabbits' were brown. Caribou were pink. But we could only see scents when we entered the Zone, when our eyes went yellow and slitted and we could see scent trails. Our hearing and smelling and sight was advanced out of the Zone, and we could still follow the scent without noses, but not see it. It was easier following something you could see.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as my trail died. A fresher scent had crossed it. I growled and phased, and then started examining the new trail. It was black- an actual wolf.

I sniffed and started following it, trotting through the woods until I saw a regular sized, brown wolf. She was digging through an older carcass, but when she saw me, she hunkered down and whined. The wolves considered us their gods- I mean, we were at least four times their size.

I went from sitting to laying, my tail wagging slightly to show I was being friendly. She stood and trotted up to me her tail the same as me. I sniffed at her fur as she went to examine mine. When she made a full circle around me, I touched my nose to hers.

Do you have a pack? I asked her, putting my thoughts into her head.

She trotted around, tilting her head. She was confused, but answered with images of her running with many wolves.

How do you communicate with them? I then asked.

She gave me a picture of them only communicating through body language. I whined as my thanks. It hadn't helped though; they didn't need to give specific speeches and such.

She gave a little howl and ran into the forest. I huffed, amused, and stood, trotting off. I went into blur mode, left the Zone, and ran all the way home. I leapt, sailing over the stairs to the porch, and phased halfway through the jump, landing on the porch in my human self.

I walked in and was prepared to eat the kitchen.