Credits and Chapter 1

All of the images posted on this story are from Google! I did not create them, and I am giving full credit to the original owners of the images! Thank you.

I hate my job, the principal thought. I smiled to myself as I passed him. He put on a big smile, shook hands, greeted everyone. But he didn't have any other choice.

Where's Nixie? I gotta tell her about the assignment she missed yesterday. Where was she? Where is she ever when she misses school? Allie was frantically thinking. I sighed and turned around, placing my hands on my hips. She waved and rushed forward.

"Nixie, here!" she exclaimed. A piece of paper was shoved into my hands.

"Thanks Allie," I said, and then turned around to go to class.

She doesn't like me, she thought sadly, not for the first time. I sighed. The truth was, I did like Allie. I liked a lot of people who tried to be my friend. But my mom always said to keep to myself, to protect everyone else from my gifts. If I accidentally phased in front of someone, our whole family would be in huge trouble.

I got to class and seated myself in the back, as always. A few people gave me glances. Why does she always sit back there? John Strudwick thought. She's so pretty, Susan Pricket thought glumly. She wasn't pretty- at all. Brown hair that couldn't be combed, huge black glasses that made her eyes too big, pure white skin, thin limbs, and big lips. The only thing pretty about her was her hazel eyes, which were very pretty indeed. These kids have it coming. Quiz time! Mrs. Dumley thought evilly. I inwardly smirked. Except Nixie Furth. She always gets them right. A picture- because I didn't just hear their thoughts, but saw what they envisioned- of Dumley stumping me in a question came to the teacher's mind.

"Ok class," she said in her sweetest voice. "Pull out a piece of paper and a pencil. Clear off your desks." We did as told. Everyone looked like they wanted to run, and their thoughts matched their faces. I love my job! Mrs. Dumley thought gleefully.

"First question. . ." And so we were quizzed. I got everyone of them right, and I knew I did. Dumley even checked my paper first, and, when finished, looked up at me. I smiled. How's she do it?

I stood up and walked out of class a second before the bell rang, a small smile on my face. Thoughts flooded my head, but I blocked them out like I had learned to do. If I focused on one thing, say the drinking fountain, all other thoughts and sounds could be blocked out. I was focusing on one person's thoughts right now- my mom's. She was outside, waiting for me in the woods.

I shivered with anticipation. The end of the day- when I could phase and run with my family, my pack. With my telepathy gift, I could also send my own thoughts to someone. It was easy, but I had to be careful not to send them to someone who didn't know about my gifts.

I'm going to do my homework really quick, I said, giving the words to my mother's head.

Okay. I'll be where I always am, was the response. I sat in front of my locker and quickly finished my homework. Just as I was stuffing it back into the locker, someone was next to me.

I jumped. "Oh! Zach, sorry. I didn't hear you coming,"

"Hear me coming?" He queried. I nodded and he shrugged. "Well, I was just going to say bye. See you tomorrow." He smiled. Hear me coming? Like my footsteps?

"Oh, well, bye. See you tomorrow." I smiled back, and he turned to leave. I hurriedly shut my locker, flipped my long, black hair behind my shoulder, and hurried the other direction. My mom was waiting just behind the tree line. I phased as soon as I saw her.

Ready? she asked, phasing into her own chocolate-brown other self. I turned my head around to look at my own sleek, white body. Black streaks ran down it, too. I looked back to my mom, who was bigger than me in wolf form. Werewolves were bigger than normal wolves, anyways, but we still had to grow. As a baby, I had been nothing more than an overly large wolf pup when phased. A very fluffy one. Now I was better built, with thick muscles and beautiful fur. Standing, I was up to my mother's snout. And, standing, her head reached over six feet. Being Alpha Female, she was bigger than the other females in our pack. My dad was the biggest of us all, almost seven feet tall in wolf form. He had pitch black fur.

As an Alpha Pup, I was bigger than other werewolves my age, by a lot. My little sister, Nyla, who was nine, was bigger than the two other wolves her age. Our pack was big. We had six elders, twenty adults, eight teens, and eleven wolves under twelve. Forty-five wolves total. If we wanted, we could take out an entire town. No human could resist us. Not even ones with guns. Because we were fast. Full speed, a person would only see a blur.

A howl sounded to the north. I whined and looked at my mom.

Pack meeting. Let's go. She trotted forward, gaining speed, until she was running. I followed close behind, listening for my pack's thoughts. They all rushed in at once, and I concentrated on my dad's. I was a key asset to the pack, because we couldn't communicate in any other way except for facial expressions and body language. That got us by fine when we weren't trying to say specific things. We could always phase to human form, but that would risk mortals hearing our conversations.

Ten minutes time, the whole pack was sitting neatly in front of a big, ledge-like rock my father was sitting on. I sat beside him, as a translator. Tell them as follows, Nix. My father looked at me and licked his snout. He turned his gaze to the huge pack. I overheard a scientist at the office talking about phasers. I projected my words to all of the wolves and translated. The pack shifted, and a few older teens stood up and yipped their protest. My dad growled, and they whined and sat. He said that recent studies in the blood work of a few locals showed signs of animal DNA. He paused to let me repeat the words. Could any of you guess who's blood they tested? A few wolves whined. Yes, it was a few of us. So all I have to say tonight is this: not a soul sitting here today will give anyone the permission to take tests on us- of any kind. Am I clear? I repeated the speech slowly, throroughly. The pack stood and barked, whined, and howled their acknowledgment.

I think they understand, I stated, licking my paw. I sent the words to only my father, and blocked out all thoughts but his.

I think so, too. He stood, flicked his tail, and turned around. Meeting dismissed.