Chapter 12

I felt really bad about Jake. I had told him no, well, I'd said maybe someday soon, but it was still a no for now. And then he had been forgiving enough to kiss me. Poor Jake. I was also feeling a bit guilty about Zach. By the time the next dance came, Jake and I might be together, and he would be shot down in his hopes- again.

But enough of that. The problems at hand were the scientists. That and the fact that I was getting really annoyed about being a spokesperson. So. Annoyed.

I was really irritable. Jake was the only person who would actually not manage to get on my nerves. Eddie and Bill teased me about knowing my secret by giving my father pictures of white wolves to give to me. They got on my nerves the most. Even Allie, who I studied with every Thursday now, was annoying to me. She didn't seem to notice, thankfully, but was still pushing my buttons.

I spent more and more time in wolf form now, too. When a wolf, I could let go of my human issues and just be an animal, literally. Jake always stayed with me, though, and I was glad for the non-irritating company.

We roamed Alaska, exploring where Bigfoot had been sited, or where the White Death- a huge white, tiger-like cat with two black stripes down its back- has been claimed to live. I felt like we were monster hunters, but then felt bad because we, ourselves, were monsters. Just a heads up, Bigfoot isn't out there, unless he's stealthy and scent-less. The White Death may be out there, but we couldn't find him- though a cat scent led up to a giant cave. We hadn't been in the mood to follow it, though we had decided to possibly explore it later. It could've been a mountain lion, though.

I whined. Jake whined. We were both confused. An elderly werewolf was approaching us, stuck in human form for now. She was hobbling slowly to us, clutching a bedraggled cane that clacked as she walked. I trotted up to her to save her the rest of the walk and phased. "Elder Lenora," I murmured, dipping my head. Jake whimpered and bowed- he wasn't related to the Alpha so he had to bow- and also phased.

"Alpha's Pup Nixie, and Nixie's friend, Jake," she said back, her voice gravelly. I smiled at her. She hobbled over to a log and sat, placing her cane beside her. "Young Alpha, you have been troubled, no?"

My smile faltered. I hesitated, and the nodded. "It's because-"

Lenora held up a gnarled hand. "I know all about it. Now, I cannot help you with your struggles between the human and Jake-" I shot a glance at Jake- "but in the matter of being annoyed about being the translator, I very much can help you there."

My interests sky-rocketed. "You can?" I sat beside her and placed my smooth hands on her knobby ones. She nodded, smiling slightly at my excitement. "Well, tell me all about it!"

"I will tell you a sort of story, first." She took a breath. "There is an old legend, about an ancient werewolf nicknamed the Great Wolf. Now, when he was younger, the Great Wolf did many heroic things. He saved pups, helped elders, chased enemies away by himself. He was a sort of saint to his pack. When he was an adult, and crowned Alpha of his pack, the gods visited him when he sat vigil that night. They told him he was a truly magnificent werewolf, and allowed him a place in their ranks. He did not live with the gods, but rather stayed on Earth to lead his pack. But from then on he was known as the Great Wolf, and he could grant any wolf and power."

I sat there, thinking. "This is just a legend, though."

Lenora shook her head. "No, it is said to be a legend, but it is true. The Great Wolf exists."

I wrinkled my nose. "How do you know?"

She shook her head and laughed. "Child, I am nearing my two hundredth birthday."

I gaped. "He gave you the power to be immortal?" I was astonished. Jake looked about the same.

"No, no, young Alpha. He cannot make anyone immortal. He simply doubled my lifespan. I will die eventually. Soon, actually."

I coughed, choking on my words. "Oh my, Lenora. I didn't know. Does my Father know?"

She nodded. "He does. And that is why he respects me more than the other elders."

"So all we have to do is find the Great Wolf and ask him to do this?"

Lenora shook her aged head. "No, he doesn't just give it to you. Either you must be worthy of the gift or, if he doesn't think you worthy, then you must do something for him. And it won't be easy."

I touched Lenora's cheek with my hand, and she smiled. "Where do we find him?"

"He moves every year, and it has been almost one hundred and fifty years since I saw him." She frowned apologetically. "I'm sorry, young Alpha."

"Don't be. You've helped a lot. We will find him. Tell my mother and father that I've gone to solve the problem. Don't tell them which- they can figure it out themselves," I said, straightening. I took Jake's hand, (I was getting used to his thoughts flaring) and towed him towards the way we came.

"Where are we going?" he asked, a bit concerned. Nixie, we can't just leave!

"We aren't just leaving," I said to him. "We're going to school today. We leave Friday night. Midnight." I turned to him and grabbed his other hand. "Please, Jake. I can't keep being the spokesperson my whole life. Please." I knew he saw my eyes, which were huge and round in my pleading. He hesitated, and then nodded reluctantly. I smiled and reached up, kissing him on the cheek. "Meet me near Ganatuk stream, so our scents can't be followed."

Jake, still looking a bit shocked, nodded. I grinned and phased, and then bolted off. One of my problems was going to be resolved.