Chapter 14

We finished Canada and half of the U.S. in two weeks. It took forever. We had met some strange werewolves with no packs, lone wolves, they said they were. And we had met different packs, too. They hadn't allowed us to search their territory, and hadn't trusted us, until I told them you my father was. From then on they almost looked at us as if a god and goddess. Apparently my father is well known, and well respected.

I pulled out the map I had bought, and, with a Sharpie, scribbled out Utah. We had decided to scribble out all the places we had visited. Colorado was next. I sighed and folded the map, placing it in my backpack. Jake was leaning against the canyon wall, chewing on a piece of jerky. I walked over to him and took out my own piece, sitting and eating it. Jake slid down next to me.

"So, Colorado," he said, looking at me.

I started messing with my pitch black hair, putting it up in a ponytail and then letting it fall. "Yeah, Colorado."

"It's supposed to be a pretty state."

I smiled. "That's the best you can do? 'It's supposed to be a pretty state.'?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, that's the best."

I sighed dramatically. "Well then yes, it is supposed to be a pretty state. It's got mountains and canyons like this in either side of it. I pointed that out earlier, though."

"Yes, yes you did." He stood and held out his hand. "Shall we? We're practically on the border."

I rolled my eyes and took his hand, letting him heave me up. "We shall," I muttered, phasing. I clamped my backpack between my teeth and entered the Zone, knowing my eyes were now yellow. Jake did the same, and we set off at a brisk trot to Colorado.

* * *

We had searched three quarters of the state, with few signs of werewolves at all, let alone the Great Wolf. It was getting obnoxious, having to follow every new werewolf scent trail we came upon. None of them were the Great Wolf, though.

I sniffed and looked very hard at the dirt in front of me. A fresh trail hovered just below my nose. I yipped to Jake and turned left, following it eagerly. It was male, about our age. He had been heading into the woods. Excited, but not too overly so (how could the Great Wolf be fourteen or fifteen?), I followed it. Jake went on the other side of the trail so our scents didn't mix with this boy's.

We followed the trail for ten minutes, and after that it started to twist and turn and go around trees. With a rush, I realized that he knew we were following him. I started to run, and then left the Zone when the trail twisted around a boulder. This could end badly, and I knew it.

I told Jake to stay where he was, and continued on alone. I inhaled deeply and abruptly looked up, only to see a blur of beige fur land atop me, weighing me down. I snarled and managed to turn over, kicking my opponent in the belly. He whined and jumped off, limping away.

Stop! I demanded. By now, Jake was by my side, growling threateningly. The boy stopped and turned.

What was that? he thought frantically.

If you turn and run, we'll chase you down. I'm Nixie, and this is Jake.

How is she talking to me? The boy, who I discovered was named Dylan, was wondering with panic.

Phase and we can talk, I said, phasing myself. Jake hesitantly followed my lead. "Phase, Dylan."

He stumbled back and phased, and then backed up against a tree, eyes wide with fear. "How do you know my name?"

I sighed. "Well, I'll start from the beginning. I'm Nixie, and this is Jake."

He nodded tersely. "And? How do you know me?"

"I read minds."

He let out a burst of laughter and slapped his knee. "Yeah, right. Tell me what I'm thinking right now."

I hesitated, glancing at Jake. "You aren't gonna like this," I muttered to him. He tensed. To Dylan, I said, "you're thinking that, quote on quote, 'I'm hot.'"

Jake was practically trembling. I grabbed his hand, and he calmed a little, still glaring at Dylan. Dylan, on the other hand, was staring at me, quite amazed. "And now?"

I narrowed my eyes. "You're wondering whether Jake and I are dating."

Jake held my hand a bit tighter and smirked at Dylan, smug. Dylan blinked, surprised. He cleared his throat. "Okay, fine. You can read minds. But why were you following me? And who exactly are you?"

"We're looking for a special werewolf. He's known as the Great Wolf." Dylan's eyes widened. "And don't say he isn't real. An elder in my pack is nearly two hundred years old because of him."

Dylan slowly nodded. "And you thought I was him?"

I shrugged. "We don't know what his scent trail looks or smells like, so we have to follow everyone we come across."

Her ruffled his hair, which was blonde-ish, liked his wolf form. He had the same spike above his forehead as Jake. What was it with guys? Why did they do that? "And who are you?"

I straightened a bit. "My father is Samuel, Alpha of the Alaska pack. Jake is in my pack with me."

Dylan's eyes widened a bit. "So you're next Alphess?"

I shrugged. "Yeah, so?"

He shrugged too and muttered something that sounded suspiciously like "Hot and destined for greatness."

I huffed and crossed my arms, Jake's hand ripping away from mine. "Shut up, Dylan." He glanced at me. "Well, it was nice meeting you, but I think we'd better be going. Got the rest of the world to cover, and all."

"Wait, wait, wait," he said quickly.

I paused and ended my phasing. "What?"

"Uh, er, don't you want to know more about me?" he asked hopefully, smiling a lopsided smile.

I groaned and rolled my eyes. "You're name is Dylan Jay. You're best friend is going to be Alpha of your pack, and, having no siblings, will most likely make you Beta. You like a girl named Sophie but are having seconds thoughts about her-" Jake shot a look at Dylan that could kill- "and you'd really like to get to know us, specifically me, better. Well guess what, Dylan? The answer is no unless Jake says you can tag along."

Dylan worked his jaw, mouth slightly open. He glanced at Jake, who growled, "No," immediately.

"What if I follow you?" he asked defiantly.

I laughed. "Two against one,"

Dylan pursed his lips and nodded. "And what if you overrule Jake's opinion of me not coming?"

I narrowed my eyes. "Why would I do that?" I asked through slightly clenched teeth.

Dylan smirked. "Because, Nixie, I think you're pretty curious about me. You probably want to get to know me."

"I know everything about you. I've known since I first found your scent."

He faltered, obviously realizing he was losing this argument. Then he said something I hadn't expected. "Please?"

I narrowed my eyes, arms still crossed, biting my lip. Jake looked incredulous. "You aren't considering, are you?" he asked desperately. "Please, Nixie, no way."

I moaned and rubbed my eyes. "You can stay with us until Montana, but there is no way you're coming after that." Jake groaned the same time as Dylan whispered "yes". "But," I added, to Jake's pleasure, "you aren't going to have any participating in what we decide. And if we find the a Great Wolf before you leave, then you have to go home immediately. You aren't meeting him with us."

Dylan bit his lip, and then nodded. "Can I just leave my parents a note?"

I shrugged. "Knock yourself out. But we aren't waiting. We'll be on our way before you're back here, so you have to catch up." I immediately turned and phased, grabbing my pack and loping off into the forest. Jake's unpleasant thoughts followed me as we headed to Wyoming.