Chapter 19

I was almost there. His throat was exposed, an easy kill for me. Then a form slammed into me, and--still in the air from lunging--I was thrown to the side of the human camp. I snarled and stood, hackles fairly touching the sky now. Standing in front of the biggest human was a wolf, smaller than me. And yet it looked just as angry. I shook my head. A wolf, here? There were no other wolves here. Then, with disbelief, I watched as the two humans blurred and stretched and grew. Then there were two more wolves, as big as me.

I stopped snarling, allowed my hackles to lower, and then trotted forward, tail wagging happily. These wolves saved me from the humans! Their tails were also wagging, though they seemed tense to me. Why, though? There was nothing wrong.

And then they jumped. I couldn't get out. They were pinning me down. I wriggled, but I couldn't get free. I whined and looked up at them. They were like me, why were they trying to pin me down? The big brown one whined and nosed at my fur, and I thrashed once again, still not budging.

But they weren't harming me. No, simply holding me down. I was tired. Maybe if I just fell asleep for a while, that couldn't do any harm? I slowly slipped into slumber, too tired to even let out one last wiggle.

* * *

I woke with a terrible headache. Migraine could be the right word. My head pounded, and it was agonizing. I groaned and attempted to roll over, but strong hands held me down. I opened my eyes and blinked wearily up at Jake, who's face was inches from mine and etched in concern.

"No, no, no," he muttered, pushing me once again to the grounded I attempted to free myself. "Not happening."

"What?" I asked, voice a little dry. I cleared my throat and started again. "What happened? Why am I down here?"

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"Kyle telling me his wolf was starting to take over, why?" A mixture of relief and more concern distorted his face, and I reached a hand up to him, confused. "Why?" He didn't answer, so I decided to pick through his brain. I gasped and struggled to get out of his grasp when I finished. Stupid wolf, stupid stupid wolf! I almost killed Kyle last night! And probably would have killed them too.

"Nixie," Jake said painfully. I looked at him again and temporarily stopped thrashing around. "It isn't your fault. You--"

"It is!" I hissed. "It is my fault. I know not to stay in wolf form too long, and yet I did! That's the second time I've done that, Jake. And this time I almost killed someone." I clamped my hand over his mouth and went on. "I'm staying in human for the day, let's go. I've already probably wasted us two days." And with that, I twisted free of his grasp and stood, a bit wobbly. I held up a hand to Jake so he wouldn't come to aide me, and then walked away.

"Where are Kyle and Dylan?" I asked after walking for a while. I was going the right direction, but at this slow pace we would cover no ground.

"They kept going. They're gonna meet us in Uruguay, then we'll all fly over the sea."

"Uruguay? That's across South America."

He nodded. "They're going to search all South America, and then we're going to search South America. Like a do-over, to see if they missed the Great Wolf. We'll meet up in Uruguay, and fly over, like I said."

I narrowed my eyes. "How far did you go threatening them before they offered to do this?"

"I didn't threaten. They said they felt bad intruding, and would leave us alone for a while." He shrugged. "I think they're sick of us, really."

I rolled my eyes. "We were their ticket out of prison. We did them a favor, letting them come. They wouldn't be so heartless just to ignore that."

He shrugged again, and I knew that he was somewhat relieved to be rid of them. Though they were all now friends, they had been getting sick of each other for a while now. Maybe it was good for them to be away. And we got to search South America twice, so we wouldn't miss the Great Wolf.

We walked on for a while, and the sun was blaring down hard. Eventually I rolled up my pant legs and tied my hair back. Jake was getting uncomfortable, too. After some more time of simply struggling in the heat, I sighed and said, "Let's get to a town, stock up on provisions, and find a place to stay the night."

Jake nodded, relief clear on his face. We turned a different direction and kept on walking.

* * *

We were stocked up, fully rested, and I was ready to get back into wolf form. We turned into the right direction--again--and shifted. It was sort of a relief to be back in wolf; I had always been more comfortable in this form, anyways. I never spent more time than I could in human, and was one of the only ones in the pack who preferred a wolf.

I rolled my shoulders and huffed, shaking out my fur. Jake sensed my anticipation to get going, so we set off, already in blur mode. I entered the Zone, the world becoming different shades of gray and the scent trails becoming vibrant and colorful. There weren't any yellow trails yet, so we kept on.

A few hours later, a yellow scent trail popped up. I veered right to follow it, head kept low and nose twitching. As it became a more prominent color of yellow, I ran faster. Jake whined and barked behind me, and I knew I was going to fast. Chuckling internally, I slowed a bit and waited for him to catch up.

Don't go that fast, he whined. I snapped at the air playfully and ran on, Jake having to sprint to keep up. It didn't matter though; we could sprint for three days straight and not get tired.

I shook my head and focused on the trail. I lifted my head as the trail became brighter, and there was a werewolf. Slowly, I trotted up to her, as it was clearly a female, and sniffed at her. She shifted to human as I ran through her thoughts.

"Who are you?" she asked warily. I saw that she was an adult, maybe mid-thirties. She had light brown hair and kind eyes, though they were laced with fear.

I also shifted, and held my hand out to her. "Nixie Furth, daughter of Samuel Furth and the next Alpha Female of the Alaskan Pack," I said. Jake circled around us, brown eyes trained on Sarah.

A look of shock passed her face, but she recovered and dipped her head respectfully to me while shaking my hand. "I am Sarah, member of the Panama Pack. How can I help you?"

"Do you know of the Great Wolf?"

Sarah nodded. "But of course. Everyone knows of him."

"Is he here, in Panama?"

"No, young Alpha. The only Elder we have still alive met him thirteen years ago, and, as you know, he moves every year. He would not be of much assistance to you. Besides, the last recorded time the Great Wolf was here in Panama was almost five-hundred years ago. He does not favor this area, apparently."

I pursed my lips and nodded. "If we weren't in such a hurry, we would come and meet your Alpha. But considering that we are, I'm afraid we must part ways. Tell your Alpha who I am, and bring him my greetings." With that, I shifted and launched towards the border of Panama, thoughts angry and dark.

+++++++++

I'm only going to do this short Author's Note to tell you all of an idea that I'm using from @RealityCheck101

At the end of every chapter, there will be goals that you guys have to make.

So, as of now, you need:

Views: 670

Likes: 80

And I don't mean that for each chapter. I mean overall. You get what I mean.

I won't update again until those goals are met. Good luck! 😀😆😀

Hear Their Thoughts, Be Their Terror [COMPLETED][UNEDITED]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें