Chapter 22

I walked into the hut to find Kyle, shaggy, unkept hair, handing meat to his brother. Dylan shoved it into the pack, which was already bulging. "Someone else gets to carry that," I said, watching as another heavy strip of meat was packed into the backpack.

Kyle grinned and shrugged.

"Uh, guys," I started. At my worried tone, they stopped and looked at me. Both were much taller. How was I their Alpha? I cleared my throat. "We need to talk." I sat on the ground, and they sat with me. I wished Jake wasn't telling Tochoco we were leaving; I needed his support.

"What is it?" Dylan, ever so serious, asked.

"Well, outside, when I said to pack up because we were leaving, did you notice anything different?" They exchanged a look and shook their heads. I sighed. "Well Jake and I noticed that I had the Alpha tone."

Kyle raised an eyebrow. "So?"

"So a werewolf only acquires the Alpha tone when they become the Alpha of an actual pack. Not five minutes ago all four of us just left our packs and became one, new pack." I waited for their angry expressions.

They didn't come. Both boys had a look of shock and . . . Relief? I tilted my head. "Aren't you going to demand that I put you back in the Colorado pack?

Slowly, their open mouths morphed into thankful grins. "Nixie, thank you," Kyle said. I frowned. "You just got us out of a lifetime of, well . . . Suckiness."

"Thank god," was all Dylan could manage.

I smiled with them as I realized they enjoyed the fact that they were no longer bound to their rough lives. They poured their thanks to me via mind, and I eventually just let them air out. "You're welcome."

Then an idea came to mind.

I called for Jake in my mind, and he came. I stood, and so did the brothers. "With the power of Alpha Female in me, I dub you, Dylan Jay, Delta of the Fugitive pack." His eyes widened, and in a rush he bowed down at my feet, nose almost touching the ground. I turned. "With the power of Alpha Female in me, I dub you, Jake Ravine, Beta of the Fugitive pack." He lifted a brow, half amused at my made-up dubbing ceremony, but bowed at my feet, looking honored.

To the rest of the pack (aka Kyle) and any tribespeople listening, I said in a booming voice, "I give you Dylan and Jake, Delta and Beta of the Fugitive pack." Several claps came from outside, and we all grinned. "Now, I said, intentionally gushing the Alpha tone, "let's get out of here."

We thanked Tochoco once more, and then phased and started on, the words of destiny in mind.

Thank you.

I looked to Jake. It had been a good eight hours, and we had passed through several countries already. I intended to find a phone at the next one. For?

I didn't thank you for making me Beta, he explained. I dipped my head to his thanks, but scoffed at the remark he hadn't intended for me to hear.

We'd have to be married for you to be Alpha Male, Jake.

He ducked his head as I lunged at him, growling. Behind us, Kyle chuckled. Great, he'd heard. Oh, well. Jake grinned a wolfy grin back at him and Kyle winked. I snorted and poured on the speed, leaving them behind.

Once they had caught up, I said, We only have Chile, Bolvia, Paraguay, and Argentina to cover before we catch a ship to Europe in Uruguay.

How do you plan on sneaking onto a ship? Dylan asked.

Let's talk about that when we get there, I suggested, grimacing at the thought.

Where do you want to stop to call all of our parents?