Chapter 4

Saturday afternoon, 12:00 PM. Jake and I had hunted a very fat deer that wasn't used to be hunted by wolves, and didn't even run when it saw us. Easy kill. Now we were lounging across a rock that hung over a cave, where we had made our "den." There had been male mountain lion scent in the cave, which we quickly replaced with our own. The male came one night, saw us, and had angrily stalked away, its tail whipping. It stayed away after that.

Jake and I quickly found out that Washington was a beautiful state. Thick, heavily scented trees loomed over our heads. Prey chattered and chirped excitedly within the trees. The forest was alive. Well, so was Alaska's, but this was newer. The scents were even different, oddly enough.

Look, Jake commented as we walked casually through the woods. His snout was pointing in the direction of a giant waterfall. I whined and trotted over to the lake that pooled beneath it, lapping up the water. Jake bent his head down and copied me. When we finished, we laid by the lake, the only sound the gurgling waterfall, which drowned out any other sounds.

It annoyed me after a while. I couldn't hear if a bear or any other animal was going to sneak up on us. Or a human, even though we were deep into the woods. Aggravated, I growled and started barking at the waterfall, as if it would shut up.

Nixie, phase. Now! Jake thought. I growled and turned on him. Now!

I obeyed, and was left sitting on the dirt, hands clenched, knees tucked against my chest. Jake also phased, and placed a hand on my back. I reached around and tried to bite him- like an animal. He pulled his hand away, shocked.

"Calm down," he told me. He once again placed a hand on my shoulder. I took a shaky breath and nodded.

"I-I'm okay," I assured him. He took his hand away, but looked concerned. I took another breath. My mom had told me about werewolves who stayed in their wolf form too long. Their minds started to take on the wolf instincts, and they turned into real wolves. Jake had just saved me from that. "Thank you."

Jake shrugged. "You went a little crazy. What else was I supposed to do?" We laughed, and then started to walk around on foot. I was wobbly, and felt as if my tail ought to be behind me, and my hands in front of me. It was strange to be able to flex my fingers and toes.

Jake rubbed behind his neck. He glanced at me, and then looked away. Whatever he was thinking of, he was careful not to, well, think of it.

"What?" I asked, exasperated.

He sighed. "I was, uh, wondering if you were going to say yes to that Zach dude."

I laughed. "Maybe I will." He nodded, looking sheepish. We walked around a few more times until I decided we would go back to camp- on human foot. Once there, Jake and I stayed in human form, where we would be for the next twenty-four hours. I didn't want to go back to wolf form yet.

"We should get moving, even if we're human," Jake said.

I nodded. "Yeah, but it'll get us nowhere in comparison to wolves."

He sighed. "Well, we can't help that."

"Let's just walk for three of four hours. I've already be human half the day." I looked into the sky, where the sun was slowly going behind the mountains.

"You're so stubborn!" he responded, throwing up his arms. I put my hands on my hips. He sighed. "Fine, four hours."

I nodded, and we set off.