Chapter 4

The news of Elizabeth's miscarriage reached not only the court of England, where she was staying, but also the court of France. Queen Claude was with her daughter, Charlotte, when a servant girl came up to her with a letter. Claude eyed the letter in the girl's hands and said to her, taking the letter, "What is this?" The servant girl replied, curtsying to the French Queen, "A letter from Prince James, Your Majesty." Charlotte's eyebrow rose and said to her mother, "What could have James wrote to you, Mama?" Claude replied to her daughter, as she opened the letter, "I am not sure, Charlotte. I do hope it is good news. Last I heard from him was that Elizabeth was pregnant again." She then looked at the letter and read it.

My beloved mother,

I am writing to you on a matter of great importance and a bearer of bad news. The other day, Elizabeth suffered a miscarriage. HRH Princess Mary was with Elizabeth, along with HRH Princess Elizabeth 2nd and their half-brother, my son, and my niece. Mary told me that Elizabeth was dancing with the children when her pain worsened. From what the physician had said from his observation, the child would've been a girl but the baby was too small to tell the gender. Elizabeth is in an unprecedented state to where not even I can console her. I am asking, not as a Prince, but as a son to his mother, if you and my siblings could come to England and cheer Elizabeth up. I would be ecstatic and grateful for your response and visit to England. I await for your response.

Your beloved and loyal son,
Prince James of France and England.

Once Claude finished the letter, she gave it to her daughter and told a servant to fetch her other sons and daughters. Charlotte did the sign of the cross after she read the letter. She said, looking at her mother, "Poor Elizabeth." Claude replied, "Yes, she has lost so many loved ones but God sees it fit to call her second child to his side. We do not decided the fates of others, that's God's duty." Charlotte nodded in agreement and said to her mother, standing, "May I be excused to get ready for our leave for England?" Claude nodded and replied, "I will have to talk to your father first but hopefully, he will grant us leave." Charlotte curtsied then left her mother to herself.

Back in England, Elizabeth sat on the window seat in her bedchambers as she watched her son with her half-brother and niece in the gardens. She couldn't bring herself to go back to court life as it was before. The princess only allowed herself to be visited by a few people in her family, she wouldn't allow the nobles and ladies of the court to come and give their condolences. Even Thomas Cromwell tried to visit her but she refused an audience with him. Elizabeth knew that her father's faith and trust in Cromwell was slipping so she decided to stay away from him as much as possible to keep rumours from spreading that she was on his side. The door to her bedchambers opened and she turned to see a pageboy. He bowed to her and said to her, giving her a letter in his hand, "A letter from Her Majesty, Queen Claude of France, Your Highness." Elizabeth only nodded at the pageboy and took the letter.

My dearest daughter-in-law,

It pains me to hear about your miscarriage. James wrote to me and has asked me to come to England and remedy this situation. I shall come to England with Charlotte and my other children to brighten your spirits. I must tell you that you mustn't blame yourself for this. We do not decided on the fates of others, that is God's duty. I'll be happy to have an audience with you and see how you are fairing. I shall be in England soon.

Your beloved mother-in-law,
Queen Claude of France.

Elizabeth turned away at the sound of her son's familiar laugh and smiled slightly as her husband picked up their son. She decided that she should get some fresh air and join her family in the gardens. Lady Eleanor came up to her close friend and said to her, noticing her stand up shakily, "Elizabeth, are you alright?" Elizabeth replied, regaining her composure, "Yes, I am fine. I decided that I should get some fresh air." Lady Eleanor nodded with a smile, she hoped that this was a sign that her friend was coping from her miscarriage. She proceeded to help Elizabeth get ready for her outing. When they were finished, they exited the bedchambers and made their way to join the other royal family members and the courtiers.