Chaptet 28

As days passed, Henry soon began to notice Catherine Parr day by day. Each time they met, he gave her a gift which she couldn't refuse because naturally, he is the King and you can't say no to the King. Of course, Catherine's sick husband noticed the gift giving and grew slightly jealous but payed no mind since he knew he would die soon. Catherine's husband wasn't the only one who noticed the newfound affection between Catherine and the King. Elizabeth 1st was the first of the royal family and court to see how much her father cared for her friend. She only hoped that it wouldn't cause another downfall of another future possible marriage like her mother's and all of the others. The two friends walked in the royal gardens with Elizabeth's children running in front of them as they conversed. Elizabeth's lady-in-waiting, Natalia, held baby Fredrick in her arms as she walked behind the two women. Catherine chuckled as the royal children chased each other and said, "Your children are growing so fast, Elizabeth. However do you manage?" Elizabeth chuckled and replied, "It's all Lady Bryan. If it wasn't for her, James and I would surely have our hands full but we couldn't ask for more. Nicholas is excelling in his studies, as is Katie. My father wants to send them to their own households where they could grow into a prosperous prince and princess with a proper education fit for royalty." Catherine turned to Elizabeth and said, "It's hard for a mother to give up her children. Men will never understand the love of a mother for her child." Elizabeth nodded and replied, "When Nicholas reaches his tenth birthday and Katie her eighth, James and I will send them off. Until then, we're going to keep them close. They're only seven and five. Fredrick is only a couple months old so he has a long way ahead." Catherine nodded in agreement and said, "How is your relationship with James? If you don't mind me asking?" Elizabeth smiled and replied, "Thriving. We're stronger in our marriage than we ever have been. We've always been close but after Freddy; our hearts have been synchronized. How about yourself and my father? I've noticed that he has sent you many gifts recently." Catherine smiled sheepishly and said, "Oh, I'm sure it's nothing. I've only been giving him council is all. Nothing more." Elizabeth replied, turning to her friend, "I don't think it's just nothing, dear Catherine. I think my father means to take you as his next wife."

As the Princess Royal said that, Catherine's eyes widened in shock. She never wanted to believe that Henry's gift sending by was a sign of his affection but only as a gesture. She wanted to deny the fact that he had feelings for her but she knew deep down, she couldn't refuse the King of England. Elizabeth looked at her friend with sympathy and said, "You know you can't deny it, Catherine. The signs were there all along. He won't do anything now because you are still married to the Lord Latimer but that will change soon if he falls to his sickbed. You and I both know that." Catherine sighed and replied, "I know but I don't want to be the Queen. Do you know what happens to his Queens?" Elizabeth winced at the mention of her father's previous marriages as her mind went to her mother first. She remembered how pained her mother was when her father took new mistresses, how her sobs reached her and Mary's shared bedchambers when they were children. Elizabeth sighed and said, "I do, I don't need to be reminded. But, you should know that you can't say no to the King. If the time comes, you know what you must do." With that, she walked away, calling out her children's names. Catherine watched as Nicholas and little Catherine came running up to Elizabeth, as she knelt down to their height. Elizabeth brushed her hand across Nicholas's dark brown hair while she used her other one to cup Katie's cheek, rubbing her finger against it gently. The princess then stood and held her children's hands in both of her hands as she walked out of the gardens, followed by her ladies-in-waiting.

As she passed the royal courtiers, they all bowed and curtsied, greeting the princess and her children. Elizabeth then spotted the Seymour brothers with Ursula Missildon who was now pregnant and walked over to them. Edward grinned and said, bowing to his friend, "Ah, Your Royal Highness. We were just talking about you." Elizabeth chuckled and replied, "All good things? Remember, we have children present." Edward then noticed Elizabeth's two elder children clinging to her hands and one of Elizabeth's younger ladies-in-waiting holding the newest addition to the Tudor-Valois family. He knelt down in front of the young prince and princess and said to them, bowing his head to them, "Your Royal Highnesses. It's an honor to meet you both. I am Lord Edward Seymour, the Duke of Somerset and a privy council member of His Majesty's council and a good friend of your mother and father." Nicholas hesitantly looked at the man in front of him then looked up at his mother. He had never been formally introduced to a courtier before, besides that one time with the Duke of Suffolk and the Spanish Ambassador. Elizabeth smiled gently at her son and said, crouching down to his height, "It's alright, Nicky. He's a friend of mine, he can be trusted. He's also Edward's uncle, he's practically family." Nicholas turned back to the man in front of him and said, his voice quite, "It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, milord." Edward smiled and said to Elizabeth, "The Prince is a fine young lad. I'm sure he'll make a great king one day." His attention then turned to little Catherine who clutched to her mother's skirts and smiled gently at the shy child.

It seemed that both Tudor-Valois children were shy. Edward knelt down to little Catherine, who snuggled closer into her mother's dress skirts, and said, "Hello, Your Highness. It's an honor to meet you." Little Catherine blushed and replied, "It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, milord." Edward chuckled and stood up, sharing a smile with his friend. Elizabeth chuckled as well and said to her children, while addressing Mariana, "Alright, you two. It's time for your tutoring lessons. Lady Mariana will take you." Mariana came forward and took the young prince and princess' hands into her own. She shared a smile with her husband and brother-in-law then walked off; whispering to the young children. Elizabeth smiled and said to Edward, "How does your marriage fair, Edward? I hope you are treating my lady-in-waiting well." Edward grinned and replied, "It is going well, Your Highness. We are both very close and happy together. Mariana has taken well to her new title as the Duchess of Somerset." Elizabeth nodded and said, "Ah, yes. I had quite forgotten that my father had granted her that title upon your marriage. If you both need anything, anything at all, feel free to ask myself or James if I am not available. *She then turned to Thomas and Ursula* The same goes for you both. I understand that both of you have been given new titles and a new household." Thomas bowed to Elizabeth, while Ursula curtsied as much as she could; and replied, "Thank you, Your Royal Highness. We shall take your offer." Elizabeth smiled and said, turning to her ladies, "I'm afraid I must be going. Lady Natalia, you can take Fredrick to Lady Bryan. I believe it is time for his next feeding and nap." Edward, Thomas, and Ursula bowed and curtsied to Elizabeth as she walked off with the rest of her ladies.