Chapter 25

After Katherine Howard was arrested, she was then taken to Syphon Abbey where she was place under guard. As for Francis Durham, he was arrested and interrogated by Edward Seymour who found out more about Francis' infatuation with Katherine as well as their past. After Francis' interrogation, he was then tortured and tried by a judge, only to be found guilty of his crimes. It didn't take long before Francis had confessed that Katherine was also involved with Thomas Culpepper, who was also arrested and interrogated. The only thing that was needed know what a sentence. Henry stood in his council room where he paced around, lost in his thoughts. Charles Brandon came in and said, bowing to his dearest friend, "Your Majesty." Henry sighed and replied, "What is it, Charles?" Charles cleared his throat and said, "I thought you'd want to know that Thomas Culpepper has been arrested, interrogated, and had confessed to his involvement with Katherine Howard. Francis Durham has done the same under torture. They both are awaiting their sentencing." Henry turned to his friend and said, "Both of them are to be hanged, drawn, and quartered." Charles bowed but stopped when Henry changed his mind. Henry said, "No, wait! Thomas is to be beheaded but Francis is too be hanged, drawn, and quartered for I hate him much more than Thomas. Tell me when it's done." Charles bowed to Henry and replied, "Yes, Your Majesty." Henry sighed and said, "Has anything been said about my daughter Elizabeth 1st? How is she?" Charles replied, "I believe I heard that she may have her child any day now. The physicians are worried that this one would be difficult since she almost lost it in the beginning." Henry nodded and said, "I want to be informed as soon as she is in labor. Have someone write a letter and send it to Francis and his family as well. This is my fourth grandchild and it will have the best care as did the others." Charles bowed and replied, "Yes, Your Majesty. It shall be done." Henry nodded, dismissing Charles to do his duty.

Later that day, as Henry ordered, Francis Durham and Thomas Culpepper were put to death by beheading, hanging, drawn, and quartered. Katherine Howard had been taken to Syon Abbey as she waited for her fate to be decided. Bishop Gardiner was sent to get a full written confession from Katherine for Henry to plead her side of the case. Meanwhile, Elizabeth was reading a book as she ate her lunch. Eleanor came into the room and sat next to her friend, smiling at her. Elizabeth sighed and said, "I do wish this child would come soon. I'm getting rather tired of this predicament." Eleanor chuckled and replied, "The midwives told me that the delivery date should be any day now. You just have to be patient." Elizabeth rolled her eyes and said, "I've been patient long enough. What has been said about the incident at court?" Eleanor replied, "Katherine Howard has been taken to Syon Abbey. I heard that Bishop Gardiner was sent there to get a confession from the former Queen. Francis Durham and Thomas Culpepper were put to death earlier this morning at the King's orders." Elizabeth sighed and said, as she rubbed her pregnant belly, "When will this nightmare ever end?" Eleanor replied, "Maybe soon, Elizabeth. But for now,  we must focus on your health and the baby." Elizabeth nodded and said, "You will tell me what happens to Katherine, will you?" Eleanor nodded and replied, "Yes, Your Highness. I should go and make sure that the other ladies are helping Ursula with her new position." Elizabeth nodded and said, "How is she doing? Is she getting along well?" Eleanor smiled and replied, "Lady Ursula is doing well. A bit behind but with time, she'll get there. I shall leave you to rest." Elizabeth sighed and said, as Eleanor walked off, "That's all I've been doing." Eleanor chuckled to herself, shaking her head.
.....................................................................
It didn't take long for Henry to decide what to do with Katherine Howard and Lady Jane Rochford, who was responsible for Katherine and Thomas' sneaking around. However, it wouldn't be easy for Jane since she had gone insane during her time in prison and there was a law that was against executing the insane. Of course, Henry wouldn't let a measly law get in his way so he decided to just change the law. Both women were led to the chopping block where they were met by crowds jeering at them. At the top of the scaffold,  James stood with the Seymour brothers, Charles Brandon, Bishop Gardiner, and other men who were in charge of being witnesses for the executions. James could only watch with a solemn look as both women walked up the stairs and stood in front of him and other men. Bishop Gardiner gently led Jane over to the block first, where she shakily stood. He whispered, "You ought to say a few words." Jane let out a sniffle and said, stammering as she did, "I-I.......a-ask......forgiveness for my sins.........from His Gracious M-Majesty......from God......and from all of you. *She then turned to Bishop Gardiner, her head shaking* Shall I say more?" Bishop Gardiner walked over to her and replied, shaking his head, "No, milady. That is already sufficient." Jane nodded and replied, "Thank you." One of the executioners then came up to her and grabbed her arm to help her to her knees, where she placed her head on the block. Jane let out a sob as she did and sobbed as the axe touched her neck.

The crowd let out a gasp as the axe was lowered and claimed Jane's head. James closed his eyes at the sight, turning his head to the side as some of Katherine's former ladies cleaned up the blood. He turned to look at Katherine who had urinated on herself out of fear and cringed slightly. Katherine looked down at her legs then back up the sky, seeing it clear of clouds. One of the lords next to her leaned over and said to her, "It's time, milady." Katherine took a deep breath as she stared at the block and slowly made her way towards it. The young woman stood with as much dignity and grace she could muster and said, her voice strong as she addressed the crowd, "I have come here to die.............I die a Queen but I'd rather die a wife of Culpepper......" With those words, the crowds let out a shocked gasp and whispered amongst themselves. James shared a shocked look with the Seymour brothers who were beside themselves. Katherine then knelt down in front of the block and said, as she looked at the sky, "Life is......very beautiful." With those as her last words, she then placed her head on the block, ready to meet her end. As she did, the axe was lowered then raised and the young woman closed her eyes as the axe was lowered, claiming her head.  The crowd let out another gasp as another Queen met her timely end.