Chapter 23

After all of the celebrations and festivities had come to an end, which only took a couple weeks, Elizabeth 1st was then confined to her bedchambers for her lying in till she gave birth, which would only be a few months. She was visited every day by her sisters, half-brother, children, and niece who all stayed until she needed to rest. Even the Seymour brothers, Ursula Missildon, and Charles Brandon came. Now, Elizabeth laid in her bed as she sketched with her ladies around her, sewing. There was a knock on the door, startling the women as they jumped. Elizabeth's chamberlain, Mr. Fell, came in and said, bowing to the princess, "Your Royal Highness, Lords Edward and Thomas Seymour and the Lady Ursula are here." Elizabeth smiled at her three friends as they walked into her chambers, bowing and curtsying to her. She chuckled and said, raising her hand to tell them to rise, "My dear friends, what may I do for you today? I cannot do much for you see that I am trapped." Edward chuckled and replied, coming up to sit in a chair next to the bed, "Surely, you have some activities to keep you occupied, Elizabeth." Elizabeth smiled and said, "I do have my sketchbook and my paints. I would play the harpsichord but my midwives requests that I stay in bed." Ursula, Thomas' lover, cleared her throat and replied, "Surely, they allow you to get some fresh air, Your Highness?" Elizabeth scoffed and said, "The only fresh air I get is the air from an opened window, I'm afraid." Ursula replied, "I could speak with the midwife's and convince them to let you outside for a short while if you wish it, Your Highness." Elizabeth nodded and said, "If you please. This room is becoming stuffier by the minute." Lady Ursula then stood, curtsying to Elizabeth, then exited the room. Elizabeth turned to Thomas, seeing him watch his lover leave, and said, "So, Edward tells me that you've chosen the Lady Ursula for your lover? I think you made the right choice, she's very pretty." Thomas blushed and replied, "Thank you, Your Highness. Might I ask a favor? Ursula wishes to be a part of your entourage as a lady in waiting. She served underneath my sister and the former Queen Anne of Cleves. She would've served underneath the new Queen but all of the positions had been filled." Elizabeth smiled and said, glancing at her ladies-in-waiting who smiled at her, "I'm sure we can make room for one more. We'll need all the help we can get with this new little one now that I have 3 children." Thomas grinned and replied, "I'm sure she'll be pleased with her new position." Ursula then walked back and said, confused, "Who will please with their new position?" Thomas grinned at his lover and replied, "Why, you, my love. I mentioned to Princess Elizabeth about how you wished to be apart of her entourage and she said that she could offer you a position as her lady-in-waiting." Ursula smiled brightly at the princess and said, "Oh, really? Thank you so much, Your Highness. I shall serve you honorably, nobly, and gracefully." Elizabeth smiled and said, "That is all I can ask of you, Lady Missildon."

The quartet then began to converse amongst themselves, even inviting Elizabeth's ladies in. Mariana stood next to Edward as they talked, with Edward holding Mariana's hand in his own. Mr. Fell then came into the room and said to Edward and Thomas, "My Lords, Bishop Gardner is requesting your presence at once in the council chambers for the council meeting." Elizabeth turned to her two friends and said to them, as they turned back to her, "Go on, you two. I will be fine. My husband shall probably join in on the meeting in my absence." Edward then stood and bowed to Elizabeth, as did Thomas. He turned to Mariana and said to her, "I shall see you later to discuss our wedding plans, my love?" Mariana nodded and replied, "Of course, my Lord." Edward smiled softly and placed a soft kiss on Mariana's knuckles before following his brother out of the bedchambers. Before the two left the bedchamber, they both turned to Elizabeth and bowed deeply to her as did Mr. Fell. Elizabeth smiled and nodded her head in acknowledgement, allowing the men to leave. She then turned to Ursula and said to her, "How do you feel about starting tomorrow, Lady Missildon? I shall formally introduce you to my ladies and have one of them show you how we do things." Ursula nodded and replied, "I'd be delighted, Your Royal Highness." Just then, a couple midwives walked in with Dr. Linacre and they curtsied/bowed to Elizabeth. One of the midwives said to Elizabeth, "It's time for your checking, Your Royal Highness. His Majesty wants to make sure that you are staying healthy and safe." Elizabeth sighed and replied, "If His Majesty wishes it, then it shall be done. Ladies?" Eleanor stood up and gently ushered everyone, other than the midwives and Dr. Linacre, out of the room.
.........................................................................
In the council chambers, James stood at the right hand side of the head of the table as he conversed with Charles Brandon. A chamberlain announced, as Henry walked in, "His Majesty, the King!" James stood from his seat as did the others and bowed to Henry, who slowly made his way to the table. Thomas Culpepper moved the chair a bit and helped Henry sit down, as did James. Henry smiled and said to his son-in-law, "Thank you, James." James nodded with a smile and replied, "Of course, Your Majesty." Henry let out a grunt as he settled down and said, "Now, what's on the agenda?" Edward replied, "There has been some discussion about the Scots and the Spanish Emperor's disagreements." Bishop Gardner said, "It's also been said that the King of Scot's' wife has given birth to a girl who will take the throne. They wish to betroth their daughter to your son, Prince Edward." Henry smirked and replied, "Not the son they desperately desire. I'd have to consult Prince James and Princess Elizabeth 1st but that won't be until after my daughter has given birth. I don't want to bother her with any negative news that could affect her giving birth." Bishop Gardner nodded and said, turning to James, "Of course, Your Majesty. How is Her Royal Highness?" James smiled softly and replied, "She is well, despite her hatred for being stuck in bed. She's also appointed a new lady of the court to her ladies." Henry looked at his son-in-law, intrigued, and said, "Who might that be?" James glanced at Thomas Seymour and replied, "Lady Ursula Missildon, Your Majesty. She's new to court and Thomas Seymour's betrothed." Henry turned to Thomas and said, "Thomas, I wasn't aware that you had a betrothed." Thomas nearly blushed and replied, "Yes, Your Majesty. She's a private person, she likes to stay in the countryside away from court. I'm sure she'll do Her Highness a great credit." Henry nodded and said, standing up with a little trouble, "Well, for that matter, I believe the council is dismissed. I'm going to visit my children and see how they are. James, come with me." James nodded and replied, bowing to Henry, "Of course, Your Majesty."

Henry and James walked out of the council chambers, causing the members to bow to them, with James a step behind Henry. Henry turned to James and said, "How is my daughter, James, really?" James smiled softly and replied, "She is well, Your Majesty. She is grateful for all of the assistance you gave her for her health." The two men then stopped in front of Elizabeth's bedchambers where Mr. Fell bowed to them. Henry smiled at Mr. Fell and said, "Ah, Mr. Fell. How is Her Royal Highness today?" Mr. Fell bowed to the King and replied, "She is well, Your Majesty. The young prince and princesses came to visit her as well as the Duke of Suffolk and the Lord Seymour's. She is restless but tired." Henry nodded and said, "That is expected. We've come to visit her to wish her well." Mr. Fell nodded and opened the door, allowing the two men entry. He walked in and said, with Henry and James behind him, "His Majesty the King and His Royal Highness, Prince James!" Elizabeth looked up from her conversation with Eleanor and smiled brightly at her husband and father. She gasped and said, "Ah, James! Papa! I wasn't expecting more visitors." Henry chuckled and replied, "We'd thought that it would be a nice surprise." Elizabeth said, as James kissed her head, "Consider me surprised. How was the council meeting?" Henry sighed and said, "It was well as it can be. There's still trouble with the Spanish and Turks and now it's extended to the Scot's. I'm just glad that France is on our side since James and yourself are married and united our two kingdoms. And that Francis has kept his word about not joining the Emperor, since he shares my anger about how he had kept you hostage a long time ago." Elizabeth smiled and replied, "I'm sure it will all come to pass." Then, a midwife walked in and said, "Your Majesty, Your Royal Highness. I do apologize but it is time for Her Highness to rest." Elizabeth smiled and said to her husband and father, "Don't worry, all will be well. Only a couple more months left." Henry smiled softly at his daughter and replied, placing a kiss on her forehead, "I am so proud of you, my jewel." Elizabeth said, as she watched her father leave the room, "Thank you, Papa." James stood next to his wife and said, "Before I leave, there's something you should know, Lilibet. A letter was left on your father's chair during mass earlier today. Someone has come forward, accusing the Queen of adultery and sexual misconduct." Elizabeth's eyes widened and replied, "I thought I had closed the matter." James nodded and said, "You did, my love, but apparently someone has decided to open it up again. The King has ordered myself, Edward Seymour, and the Duke of Suffolk to investigate it." Elizabeth replied, "Who is this person accusing Katherine of being with?" James said, "Thomas Culpepper, His Majesty's groomsman, and Francis Durham, the Queen's private secretary and usher." Elizabeth's eyes widened and replied, "Thomas Culpepper? He's been in my father's service for years, even when Anne Boleyn was Queen. He and I had some sort of friendship at one point. As for this Francis Durham, I've been getting complaints from other servants and maids of his misconduct and infatuation with Katherine. Will you keep me informed of the investigation?" James nodded and said, "Of course, my love. For now, you must rest." He brought his wife into a kiss before leaving the room.