Chapter 15

After introducing her son and niece to Anne, Elizabeth stayed in court throughout the day, continuing to prepare the Christmas celebrations. She remembered how wonderful the Christmas celebrations were when her mother was Queen during her childhood. She and her family would go throughout the kingdom and hand out gifts to the poor. As she remembered the time when her mother was there, a tear rolled down Elizabeth's cheek. She didn't notice that her husband was walking towards her. James came up to Elizabeth and noticed the tear stain streaks on her cheeks. He placed his hand on Elizabeth's shoulder and said to her, concerned, "Elizabeth, are you alright?" Elizabeth jumped, startled, and turned to see her husband, calming down. Elizabeth nodded and replied, "Yes, I'm alright. I was just remembering some things." James decided to leave it be and made a mental note to talk about it with his wife later.

The couple was soon greeted by Henry and Katherine Howard. Elizabeth and James both bowed and curtsied to the King and Queen. Henry smiled at his eldest daughter and said to her, "You have truly outdone yourself, Elizabeth." Elizabeth curtsied to her father and replied, smiling, "Thank you, Your Majesty. I do hope you are pleased." Henry grinned and said, "More than pleased, my darling. You should enjoy yourself for the rest of the celebrations. You've earned it." Elizabeth nodded and replied, "Of course, Your Majesty." At the corner of her eye, Elizabeth saw that her twin sister and her family had joined them in the court room. She excused herself from her father and walked over to her sister. Katherine turned to Henry and said to him, trying to be overly distraught, "You should've seen how she was towards me the other day, Your Majesty. She and her sister have yet to show me respect." It took everything James had to not go off on Katherine for bringing up the argument. Henry held back his anger and replied to Katherine, "Elizabeth was just probably under a lot of stress from the preparations. Stress can cause people to lose their senses." Katherine crossed her arms and said, "You're taking her side?" Henry scowled at Katherine and replied, "You seem to forget that Elizabeth is my heiress and my eldest child, Katherine. At this rate, she ranks higher than you. Remember your place." The young Queen could all but stare at her husband in shock as he stormed off. James just gave Katherine a smirk and left her to join his wife's side.

Soon enough, the celebrations of Christmastime began and everyone were in high sprites. Elizabeth was getting herself ready with her ladies-in-waiting's help when a knock was heard. Lady Eleanor glanced at her mistress before going to answer the door. Lady Caterina then took Lady Eleanor's spot in finishing Elizabeth's hair, which was being put up in a ponytail with her hair curled. Lady Eleanor returned with Queen Katherine Howard next to her and she said to her mistress, "Your Highness, the Queen would like an private audience with you." Elizabeth held back a sigh and turned around, curtsying to the young Queen. She rose from her curtsy, as did her ladies who followed her actions, and said to Katherine Howard, "To what do I owe the honor of your visit, Your Majesty? I hope you are enjoying the festivities of this Christmastime." Katherine Howard placed her hands on her hips and replied, "I came to inquire why you do not show me the upmost respect as you do for the Lady Anne of Cleves. It came to my attention that you treat her as if she was the Queen, since she is a private person, while I hold the title." Elizabeth glanced at Lady Eleanor who gave her an unreadable look and said to the young Queen, "Your Majesty, I must assure you that I meant no offense to your person when I say this. The Lady Anne of Cleves has shown herself worthy of every respect. And she carries herself with great dignity and modesty, only desires to please the King, her Lord and my father." Elizabeth's ladies-in-waiting had soft smiles on their faces, agreeing with their mistress. Katherine Howard replied, almost appalled, "Do you mean I don't try to please him?" Elizabeth cleared her throat and said, "I think that you only desire nothing else than pleasure. It seems that it pleases you to do nothing but wear pretty clothes and dance. Some people think that frivolous in the consort of the King, whose flesh is also sacred."

At this point, Elizabeth was beginning to feel frustrated with the young Queen. She was trying to control her frustration but her patience was wearing thin. Katherine Howard smirked and retorted, "If His Majesty thought me any frivolous, why did he marry me?" Elizabeth smirked slightly and said, "You are thought to be capable of bearing sons, Your Majesty. Unfortunately, for the King's attention, I see that you are still not pregnant." The princess glanced at the Queen's lower abdomen to make her point, she knew that she had won the argument there. Katherine Howard shifted uncomfortably from side to side, knowing that Elizabeth was right. Elizabeth continued, "His Majesty will soon tire of you, you'll see." Elizabeth's ladies-in-waiting all smirked softly at each other, knowing their mistress had triumphed their Queen. When Katherine Howard had no response or insult to come up with, she simply glared at the woman who was a few years older than herself and stormed off, with her ladies-in-waiting in tow.

Elizabeth and her own ladies-in-waiting as well as her husband's grooms all curtsied and bowed as the Queen stormed off. Elizabeth finally let the breath, she had been holding the entire conversation, and sat down in her vanity chair. She began to rub her temple and said to her ladies, "I never knew that I could do that." Lady Mariana placed her hand on Elizabeth's shoulder, gently rubbing it, and said to her, "I thought you were absolutely phenomenal, Your Highness. I thought it was about time someone put her in her place." Lady Caterina glared at the other lady and said to Lady Mariana, "Lady Mariana, how can you say that about the Queen? As much as I dislike her as you do, Your Highness, she is still the Queen. She could tell your father about this incident and you could loose His Majesty's favour of you." Lady Eleanor came up to Elizabeth, to do any finishing touches on the princess, and said, "Alright, ladies. That's enough. What's done is done. Her Highness said what she thought was necessary and we must not question her, only support her. Now, we have to help her get ready for the feast." There was a knock on the door and a groom called out to Elizabeth, telling her it was time for the feast.