Chapter 12

During her time at France, Elizabeth had hit her five month marker and was now seven months pregnant. This gave her the chance to have one of her children born in France, their father's kingdom. Just like with Nicholas, James made the decision that it wouldn't be safe for traveling and he didn't want to risk his wife or second unborn child's safety. Elizabeth was grateful that she didn't have to travel back home to England just yet since she wasn't ready to face her father's new wife and Queen. Elizabeth still didn't want to be in confinement again, just like she didn't want to when she was pregnant with Nicholas, and she protested that to her in-laws. With Elizabeth, Elizabeth sat on the grass under a tree in the French royal gardens with her mother-in-law and sister-in-laws as they watched James, his brothers, and their father sword fight. Queen Claude turned to her daughter-in-law and said, gently placing her hand on her daughter-in-law's large stomach, "How are you and the little one coming along, sweet Elizabeth?" Elizabeth smiled and replied, "I feel well but the little one keeps James and myself up at night. They are the cause of my cravings for fruit and meat." Charlotte laughed and said to her sister-in-law, then said to her mother, "You could have worse cravings, Elizabeth. Mama, remember when you had Henry and you craved for shrimp with avocados? Papa made sure that you had one of each on hand." Claude chuckled at her eldest daughter and replied, "He only wanted the best
for the second born son of the King of France."

While the royal women were talking, the royal men continued their sword-fight. James was paired up with Francis and Henry while Francis was paired up with Charles and a guard. Francis said to his older brother, as he dodged a blow from his father, "How is Elizabeth's pregnancy coming along, James? She is looking well." James replied, "After her last ordeal, she is doing a lot better. We're just taking better precautions this time. We won't be traveling until after the baby is born and a little older." Henry blocked a blow from the guard that was coming towards James and said to his eldest brother, "It's alright to be cautious, James. This is your second child. Has Elizabeth said anything about leaving for England?" James let out a shout when his youngest brother, Charles, came towards him and replied, "She's not ready to leave for England. As much as she misses her family, she does not want to deal with the new Queen."

After awhile of sword-fighting, everything seemed to slow down when Elizabeth let out a painful shout. James raced over to his wife's side and helped her with her breathing, easing her to her feet. Queen Claude stood and shouted to anyone, "Someone fetch the physician, now!" A lady of the court curtsied to the royal family and rushed to follow the Queen's orders. Francis rushed over to the rest of his family and said to James, "James, gently but quickly, take Elizabeth to your chambers. It would be more comfortable for her to give birth there rather than outside." James went to take his wife's into his arms but was stopped by Elizabeth. Elizabeth placed her hands on her husband's arms and said, "What about our son? Nicholas?" James replied, picking up his wife into his arms, "He is with his tutors and Princess Margaret. I will send for him once you give birth, my love. Right now, we have to focus on this baby." By the time the royal family reached the couple's bedchambers, Elizabeth's ladies and midwives already had everything set up. The royal physician rushed into the room just as James was easing Elizabeth on the bed, who was now panting and screaming in pain. The royal physician said to the family, ushering them out of the room, "I do apologize, Your Majesties and Your Royal Highnesses, but we must have some privacy. We do not want to overwhelm Her Highness or the child." With that, the physician closed the bedchamber doors and went to help Elizabeth. Lady Eleanor held onto her friend's hand, encouraging her. The midwife placed a cold wet rag on Elizabeth's sweating forehead and said to her, "You are doing so well, Your Royal Highness. It will be over soon and you will have your child in your arms."

Outside of the royal bedchambers, James paced around in the hallway while his three brothers and three sisters watched him with concern and annoyance. Charlotte sat next to Francis on one of the small couches that were in the hallway and crossed her arms. She had never seen her older brother this worried before unless she counts the time when Elizabeth had the plague and almost died. Madeline, James' fourth youngest sibling, gave her eldest brother a comforting smile and said, coming up to her brother to place her hand on his shoulder, "James, I'm sure Elizabeth is just fine. She's a fighter and a survivor. I know that if she is anything like Catherine of Aragon, she can survive almost anything." James gave his little sister a small smile and was about to respond until he heard Elizabeth let out another painful scream. It was tearing him apart that he couldn't be with his wife during this time. He only hoped that this birth would be an easy one unlike his son's birth. Elizabeth was in labor for three whole days and almost died during the birth because of losing so much blood. After eight long hours of pain and screaming, Elizabeth finally gave birth. Lady Eleanor left her friend's side to go search for her friend's husband to find him with his three brothers. She curtsied to the four princes and whispered something into James' ear. James' face lit up and raced towards his and his wife's bedchamber, with his three brothers close behind him. James entered the bedchamber to find the midwives and Elizabeth's three other ladies-in-waiting cleaning up the towels and blankets. He made his way across the room to find his beautiful wife, exhausted from the birth, sitting up in the bed with a bundle of blankets in her arms.

Elizabeth looked up from the bundle of blankets to see who had walked into the room and smiled softly when she saw it was her husband. James smiled lovingly at his wife and came to her side, bringing her into a passionate kiss. He then brought his attention the bundle of blankets to see a small baby, asleep. Elizabeth smiled and said to her husband, softly to not wake up her baby, "It's a girl, James." James' smile widened, not only did he have a son, he now had a daughter he could spoil. Elizabeth's smile suddenly fell when her doubts overcame her. James' smile turned into a frown when he saw his wife's smile fell and whispered to her, "Elizabeth? What is it?" Elizabeth whispered, "It just sounds silly.......Are you disappointed that I didn't give you another son?" James sighed, he should've known that Elizabeth's father's casting of his other wives would have an affect on Elizabeth. He knew that Elizabeth would have doubts of James' commitment to her and their children if she ever didn't give him sons. James whispered, placing his hand on his wife's cheek, "Elizabeth, listen to me. I do not care if you gave me sons or daughters. The only thing that matters to me is if you and the child survived the birth. I am delighted that you gave me a daughter. I am committed to you and our children only. Our family's happiness is the only thing that matters to me. This child will be the most beloved princess the world will ever see."

With that, Elizabeth's doubts and worries escaped her and smiled. She was relieved to hear those words come from her husband and not from someone else. James smiled and said, looking back at the sleeping baby girl, "Now, this little one needs a name." Elizabeth sighed and replied, "I know that Mary has already named her daughter after our mother but I would like it if one of our children was named after my mother." James said, "I cannot deny that your mother was a great woman. I'm sure Mary won't mind it if you named our daughter after the Queen." In James' eyes, Catherine of Aragon would always remain the Queen of England. She was Henry's wife for a long time and had been Queen longer than Henry's other five wives had been Queen. Elizabeth deserved to have a daughter named after her beloved mother, as did Mary. Elizabeth smiled at her husband and said, looking at her sleeping baby girl, "Well, then, we shall name her Catherine, after my mother. Princess Catherine Margaret Charlotte of England and France." Elizabeth decided to name her daughter not only after her mother but sister-in-law and great-grandmother. Even though she had only met her great-grandmother a couple times when she was young, she idolized the woman. Lady Margaret Beaufort played a major part in the succession of the Tudor Dynasty. Elizabeth made a vow that she would name a daughter after her to honor Margaret's memory and legacy. The baby girl yawned and slowly opened her eyes, letting out a squeak. Elizabeth and James both smiled lovingly at each other then back at the baby girl.