Chapter 35: The End

A couple years later, Henry VIII has gotten older, now needing to walk around with a cane, and his health had deteriorated even further. Catherine Parr was still his wife and Queen, being faithful to only him as he was to her. As for Princess Elizabeth and Prince James and their family, Elizabeth 1st had announced that she was pregnant once again, bringing joy to the kingdom once more. Nicholas was now with his tutors, being 12 years old. Katie was still under Lady Bryan's care, being 10 years while her brother Fredrick was 5 years old. Elizabeth 2nd and Edward had grown as well, with Elizabeth 2nd being 16 while Edward was 14. One day, Henry had decided to come up with a succession plan for his family on who would rule after who. With Elizabeth's 1st as the Princess of Wales and his natural heir, she would take the throne after home with her husband as King Consort. Then, after her, Nicholas would take the throne and if he were to die childless, Fredrick would take it after him and so on and so forth. As for Mary and her family, Mary had expressed that she had no desire for the throne and Henry had honored his second daughter's wishes. Edward was the Duke of York so he would have a claim to the throne but since he was too young, being only 14, he doesn't have the power to take it just yet. As for Catherine Parr, she had gotten close with Henry's children and grandchildren and he wanted her to be happy so he would give her permission to remarry to someone who would love her unconditionally. The old English king sat in his bedchambers with Dr. Linacre who was checking his health and the ulcer on his leg. Dr. Linacre cringed at the sight and said to the King, "I'm afraid the ulcer is having an affect on how quickly your health is worsening, Your Majesty. You must rest." Henry sighed and replied, "Yes, I know. I shall do so after I make my daughter, Princess Elizabeth a permanent Regent until my time comes when she will take the throne as Queen and after I address my court." Dr. Linacre nodded at the King and bowed to him, leaving him to his thoughts.

As promised, Henry had ordered that his court and family to be gathered into the throne room where he would addressed them. In the middle of her family, Elizabeth stood tall with Catherine Parr on her left and James on her right. Mary and Elizabeth 2nd stood on Catherine's left side, both holding each other's hands in comfort. They knew why the court and themselves were summoned. James took his wife's hand into his own and whispered, "Are you alright, my love?" Elizabeth inhaled sharply and whispered, "I don't know, my heart. I'm just trying to prepare myself for what's coming next." A chamberlain announced as Henry walked in slowly, causing everyone to curtsy and to bow, "His Royal Majesty, the King!!" Elizabeth curtsied deeply when her father slowly made his way into the room and over to her. He then looked at Elizabeth, gently pulling her out of her curtsy, and gave her a small smile. Elizabeth returned her father's smile with a sad one of her own, knowing the reason for his sudden summons. Henry turned his attention to the court and said, with a Kingly voice, "I am sure that you all are wondering why I summoned you along with my family so suddenly. The reasons are is because my health isn't what it used to be and I won't live long. I have some words to say to you all before that time comes. *He then turned to Elizabeth* I am appointing my daughter, the Princess of Wales, and her husband as permanent Regents of England until my time comes to leave this world when they will become Queen and King." Elizabeth's eyes slightly widened but it was more in surprise than shock because she didn't expect her regency to be permanent. James' eyes also widened because he didn't expect to be regent alongside his wife. Henry gave his daughter and son-in-law a comforting smile and said to them, "I have faith in you both that you will lead with honor, strength, courage, and kindness. I have no doubt that you will be a great King and Queen." Elizabeth and James bowed and curtsied out of gratitude and respect for their great monarch. Henry bowed his head to them, then kissed both of his eldest daughter's cheeks. He then moved down to Mary who looked at him with tears in her eyes, threatening to make her cry. Henry said to his daughter, "Mary, you help your sister to be a kind and loving mother to your brother who I leave in this world a helpless boy." Mary sniffled and replied, "Please, Father, don't leave us orphans so soon." Henry looked at his daughter with sympathy and said, bringing Mary into his arms, "Oh, Mary, Mary." From the sidelines, Nathaniel watched his wife with concern in his eyes. Next to him stood their daughter, Princess Cate, who looked at her father with confusion then turned back to her mother, wanting to go comfort her. Young Prince George wasn't able to attend the gathering since he was only a couple months old and too young to join such events. He wasn't alone since Prince Fredrick kept him company with Lady Bryan. Henry then walked over to Elizabeth 2nd who stood with her head held high and said to her, "You are so very young but you can help your sisters look after your brother. Your eldest sister will need all the support and help she will need to become a good Queen." Elizabeth 2nd nodded at her father and replied, "Yes, Your Majesty. I promise." Henry smiled at the teenaged girl and said to her, "Bless you, child. Bless you." He held his gaze on his youngest daughter before moving on to his wife, who held onto Mary and Elizabeth's hands in comfort. Henry held out his hand for his wife, who let go of her stepdaughters' hands in exchange for his hand, and said, "Kate....... the time has come for us to bid farewell. *Catherine looked down sadly, tears threatening to fall* It is God's will. When I die, I order these gentlemen to treat you as if I was living still. And if it is your pleasure to remarry, I order that you shall have 7,000£ a year as long as you live for your service as well as your jewels and ornaments." Catherine let out a soft sob as Henry brought her hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles softly. After that, Henry turned to leave, causing everyone to curtsy and to bow. Elizabeth 2nd was the first of the royal family, who stood behind, to leave, her head held high. Elizabeth 1st watched her youngest sister leave but was held back when Mary came up to her with Catherine. This would be the last time the group would ever see Henry alive.