05 || Death of a Pharaoh

Life with a newborn was something to get used to.

It still felt so unreal, that sometimes I would have to check to see if my son was really there.

Numerous times I just stood there, hovering over his crib as he sleeps peacefully, my hand carefully placed in his torso, watching his chest go up and down. It eased me, to know he was there, breathing, living. Since the poisoning, many were the nights I woke up afraid for my child. The nightmares were hard to shake.

I never thought I would love someone as much as I love Sethos, but my heart completely bursts with love when I look at my baby boy. Today he laughed for the first time, a real laugh. So sweet and innocent. I kept him laughing during the entire day, so enchanted I was with it. All the women were charmed with him already, he would for sure grow up to be a little heartbreaker. His father reaction was the best. When Jahir saw him step into the room he made a cooing sound and raised his arms so his father could pick him up. Sethos did so happily and was surprised by the sound of Jahir's happy sounds in his arms.

I wish I could have a portrait of that very moment. Both my loves, so happy to be with one another.

Sethos spares me a moment, while our son is entertained by the new toy he had brought him, and he kisses me sweetly in greeting.

"Hello, wife" he says lovingly

"Hello, husband." I repeat lovingly.

A year we have been married and my heart still skips a beat when he calls me his wife. For a second I wonder if that feeling will disappear but I pray to the Gods it won't.

The next couple of months brought a lot of change to the Palace.

Brielle, the First Princess was married off to a political ally, leaving the Palace, for she would live at her new husband's home and occasionally return to the Main Palace when the Pharaoh held court.

I am with child again, much to my husband's and my heart's content.

And the Pharaoh announced that on the event of his death, with no male heir to succeed him, the throne would be passed on to me, the Third Princess Layla. A position I will hold until the day my firstborn son, Jahir, reaches the age to take over as Pharaoh of the Kingdom of Hathour.

The Court was not very pleased with that decision, but the Pharaoh remained unmoving in his decision. Eventually the court settled and came to accept the decree. As the only male heir of the Royal family, my son, Jahir, was a direct link to the Pharaoh, therefore allegeable to the succession. I knew there were some who prayed for the Pharaoh to have a long life, so that my son could reach the age before I would have to take over the throne. I had nothing against it. No matter what, I would train my son on how to best handle the affairs of the kingdom, just as my father has been teaching me.

I was already by the end of my term, when Jahir celebrated his first birthday. There was a great party to celebrate the event. The first year of a child was the most dangerous one, so it was a sign of good fortune when one lived long enough to celebrate it.

We received word that Brielle, the First Princess had given birth to a baby daughter a few days ago, so she could not come to the celebration. But her husband came to give his well wishes.

"Master Jafa, I did not expect you to come tonight." I greet him from where I am sitting. The pregnancy did not allow me to stay on my feet for too long. He bows and kisses my hand.

"I had to come and celebrate the young Prince's birthday." he says with a smile; I can't help but think was false.

"Thank you, and congratulations for you as well, in the birth of your new daughter. I trust my sister is doing well?" I ask him while gently caressing my large stomach. The baby was kicking hard.