20 | HAPPY BIRTHDAY ESME!

CHAPTER TWENTY;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ESME!;

Jisung remembers the exact moment when his precious Esme was born. He lay sprawled out on a hospital bed, back already aching from the uncomfortable feeling that was mostly nothing but a thick plastic surface. He had a white sheet under him that smelled like someone's old dusty attic, but it hadn't helped for any purpose but stick to his back like a second skin—something he wanted to peel off because it not only irritated him, but made him feel extremely sweaty. He was looking up at the ceiling, aching brown eyes staring at the boring beige tiles. With the large rectangular lights that shined down on him, he felt as though he might go blind sometime soon. But that couldn't compare to the sheer amount of anxiety he had bubbling within his chest. His heart pounded at an irregular speed, and at any second it would break through the bones of his rib cage and fly right through his chest. But eventually he did drift those same shaking irises down to in front of him where an ugly shade of green blocked his view. It was a curtain; one that covered the bloody mess that was happening on his stomach. He knew what the one doctor and two other nurses were doing, as he had done extensive research on it a few times before.

They were cutting him open, because he was having a cesarean section.

A shiny and undeniably sharp knife was being placed to his lower abdomen, slicing the skin there almost effortlessly. And within the moment of the doctor saying that he was beginning, goodness did Jisung thank them mentally for putting up the curtain. Yeah, he knew they were only cutting him in order to officially get the baby out, but he much rather not watch all of the gore that came with it. He was also tremendously thankful for the few shots being injected through his waist, numbing everything from that part down. He was never one to endorse pain, and if they hadn't given him the regional anesthesia, he probably would have cried and then fell unconscious.

So as he nibbled furiously on his now swollen and bruised bottom lip, he tried not to think too hard about the subtle tugging and applied pressure he felt as the doctor announced that he could see the child. The words rung throughout the blonde's ears, bouncing about in his head before feeding him with the raw emotion of happiness. His teeth finally let go of his abused lump of skin, instantly poking out into a pout and wobbling. And his eyes—he couldn't see anything anymore because of the salty tears that clouded every ounce of his vision. The warm liquid had managed to escape and slide down the side of his face, soaking either the fluffy pillow elevating his head, or wetting his neck. Jisung raised a few of his trembling fingers to his face in hopes of clearing away any proof of ever crying, but it was no use as more continued to fall.

He gave up after that, dropping his hand back down to grip at the metal bars that surrounded him. But he was a little surprised when almost soon after, he felt the warmth of someone else's palm landing on top of his. He was quick to see who it could be, because from what he knew Jungkook wasn't allowed in the room due to not being the biological father, and neither of his parents were granted access either. He relaxed when seeing it was just one of the nurses. She smiled down at him, explaining that she knew exactly what he was going through, having given birth to two beautiful children herself. Jisung couldn't help but return her comforting grin with his own, then taking the initiative of holding her hand correctly. And the second their fingers were laced he felt a ton more relaxed.