18 | I SHOULD HAVE NOTICED

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN;

I SHOULD HAVE NOTICED;

Jisung remembers the exact number of days it took before Hyunjin finally saw Esme again. Fourteen days—two weeks. At first he understood. He knew Hyunjin had his own life; a job and a beautiful girlfriend. So he wasn't going to throw a fit, screaming that the taller one needed to make time in order to see his only daughter. And it wasn't like Hyunjin had just randomly stopped all communication, as he still occasionally called. They were short conversations about why he wasn't able to visit that day, and it ending with him asking if he was allowed to speak with Esme. But then the days slowly drew closer to that same little girl's birthday. If Hyunjin kept his streak of not appearing, then he would evidently miss the party that would be happening in only three days.

Looking at the calendar, the month of April was written in bold black font at the top. Then below was all thirty days, given their own small box where anyone was able to write an event. He skipped past all of the previous crossed out squares, eyes landing on the last few that have been untouched. No reminder was written for today, but on the next one over he left a small message to himself that he needed to call his cake caterer. And then there was the last box. No one had to guess what specific day of the month it was. There was thick black ink scribbled upon it for clarification. Esme's Birthday! It had a circle encasing it, emphasizing how special the event was. Jisung even grinned when seeing that a weak attempt at a cake with candles was drawn beside it. His daughter drew it claiming that she wanted to write on the calendar as well. The blonde poked at the day with his index finger, sighing as he mentally went over his list of preparations. He believes he goes over it at least three times a day, refusing to forget a single detail. It wasn't until he was turning around, humming to himself in content did he come face to face with an exhausted looking Felix.

His facial features looked to be sunken in, cheekbones protruding through his once glowing skin (which was now an ugly pale). Dark circles surrounded his dim brown eyes, looking as though he had gotten little to no sleep within the last twenty-four hours. And his usually styled red hair was now knotted, thrown in obscure places as the Australian had no motivation to fix it. Jisung raised an eyebrow as he too brought his mug of hot tea up to his lips. He sipped quietly, afraid that Felix would suddenly go crazy if he made even the tiniest of noises.

"Hyunjin's here" Felix had said while grabbing the nearby red kettle. His tiny hands poured the still steaming water within a white mug grabbed from the cupboard. "I don't think he's staying for long though. Said something about a date with Tzuyu" He stole a tea-bag from a nearby box, loving how it was the infamous green herbs flavoring. With how awful he felt, he definitely needed the soothing help it would do for him. And as he dipped the transparent bag within the water at a repetitive and steady pace, he also turned around to leisurely stare at his friend. "Maybe you should go talk to him?"