He was never the type to show any emotions. He was the strict professor and leader who was admired by many but this time, he was just a father. His shrewd and forbidding eyes turned sorrowful, and I knew her death had taken a huge toll on his health, too.

"I'll tell the department to improve our defense lines," he solemnly answered.

"I'll help with the scouting," dagdag ko naman. "Our boundaries within the Latens Forest should have tighter security this time."

The representatives and council agreed and Sir Arai said he would devise a program that could detect the Black Dimension faster and deploy some advanced traps in case outsiders stepped into our territories.

Napagdesisyunan din na wala munang solo missions na gagawin sa labas. Dr. Miwako suggested that every missions should be done with at least three members, and one of them should know basic medical knowledge. Priority rin na ma-identify kung sinu-sinong Elites at Reapers ang sumugod sa aming apat. Apparently, they didn't send their top-tier Elites to fight against Hideo because their plan was just to delay his return.

"He took everything away from me. Now, I will do the same."

Rin's word echoed in my head and I realized she succeeded. She wanted Hideo to suffer by being alive while everyone he wanted to protect died right in front of his eyes.

Matapos ang meeting ay agad akong lumabas mula sa Council House pero napatigil ako nang marinig ko ang boses ni Dr. Miwako sa isip ko.

'You sure you don't need Yuuki to treat those horrible wounds?'

Nanatili akong nakatalikod sa kanya at tumango. 'Oh, these are nothing,' I chuckled. 'My body's fine.'

'But your well-being is not,' she returned as I heard her footsteps nearing.

I choked back the lump on my throat. 'Probably, but Hideo needs me to be okay and—'

I was surprised when she gently patted my head and stood beside me. 'You've grown,' she said in a gentle tone. 'I can't believe that the most mischievous kid will be this dependable. Akira and Mayu will be proud.'

Tears started welling up in my eyes upon hearing that from her, but I held them back. She started walking where the wake was being held but she stopped and turned her head to my direction.

"If you need someone to talk to, come to my office. I'll listen," she said and I quietly nodded.

I took one last glance to the wake and wished their souls to rest in paradise. Matapos 'yon ay agad akong bumalik sa cabin.

***

It had been three days but I still hadn't slept a wink. I kept myself busy by scouting the forest—determining the places where Shinigamis almost always appear, leading the team that sets up the traps near the boundaries, and placing the devices that would alert us once the pressure and temperature around the vicinity change, even with a miniscule amount.

Bumagsak ako sa kama ko matapos ang ginawa ko ngayong araw. I was scared to sleep but my mind and body were giving up on me. Few minutes later, my consciousness slipped away.

***

Halos mapasigaw ako nang makita ko si Akira sa tabi ko. A rope was tied around her neck and a trail of blood on the side of her head. She looked at me with anger in her eyes.

"You said you would protect me," she said. "Bakit mo ako hinayaang mamatay, Michiko?"

Agad na bumigat ang loob ko nang marinig ko iyon. I tried reaching for her but Mayu appeared on my left. Ilang segundo pa ang lumipas ay naroon na rin sina Akemi at Mitsuo.